StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty cracks 3 million sales

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

With the first month of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty behind us, millions of gamers around the globe have purchased Blizzard's latest blockbuster. In a brief sales update, the company said it's shipped over three million copies in the initial month of availability in North America, Europe, South Korea, Australia, Russia and many other regions.

The sequel bagged a million sales in the first day, and another 500,000 in the second, making it the fastest selling strategy game of all time and the bestselling PC game this year. Blizzard, of course, says it's pleased with the title's reception thus far, despite a handful of complaints about game balance and Battle.net features -- some of which should be resolved in the first retail patch this month.

Many of the changes were detailed in a "Situation Report" last week. They're mostly just race balance tweaks so far, but Blizzard says it has "mid- to long-term plans" for custom games and social features such as chat channels, which would make it easier for players to meet in-game. In the meantime, if you're looking for someone to play with, feel free to add me (Fenryr/876) or share your info in the comments.

Permalink to story.

3 million seems a bit low with all the time and hype built up, but its still a best seller so I guess no one can complain.

To yowanvista,

...my sentiments exactly! I was so excited about the game being released, I got it the first day, and barely left my PC for two days until the Terran mission was over. It was too short indeed.

Other than that, I really hope Blizzard will smarten up and add supports for LAN gaming.

I doubt they're going to add lan gaming. As far as the internet has come, who needs it. Not hard to get a multiple connect point for several pc's.

Hey, has anyone had a problem validating the game at eu.logon.battle.net? My request always times out. At first I thought it was my ISP but attempting to ping the site from external servers returns a time out as well.

I'd love to play...but can't get the game validated.

Back