Starfield and Cyberpunk 2077 enter Steam's global best-sellers chart

midian182

Staff member
In context: If the Summer Game Fest's job was to raise the hype around some of the big upcoming games this year, then mission accomplished. Following the extended reveal of Starfield, pre-orders for Bethesda's highly anticipated title have moved it to fourth place on Steam's global bestsellers list. Meanwhile, Cyberpunk 2077 expansion Phantom Liberty has pushed the 2020 base game into second place, though a 50% discount no doubt played a big part in that, too.

The Starfield Direct showcase over the weekend revealed a massive 45 minutes of the game that is being called Skyrim in space. There was plenty on offer: some story reveals, cities, ship-building, skill trees, upgrades, space combat, and much more.

Starfield is available to pre-order now. The standard version of the game cost $70, which has become the norm for big releases these days, sadly. There's also a $100 Premium Edition. As with Diablo 4, this gives buyers early access to the game (five days, in this case), along with the first 'Shattered Space' story expansion, the constellation skins pack (for a rifle, helmet, spacesuit, and booter pack), and digital copies of the soundtrack and an art book.

Even though Starfield doesn't arrive until September 6, the number of preorders it's received has pushed the game to fourth place on Steam's global bestseller list – it had been one place higher earlier today.

As the chart is based on revenue, the free-to-play Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is number one, followed by Cyberpunk 2077 and Dead by Daylight.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a new entry in the chart. And while part of its sudden jump will have been down to the 50% discount reducing its price to $30, there's little doubt the reveal of the Phantom Liberty expansion convinced many people to splash out on the game.

If you're intending to play either Starfield or Phantom Liberty, now might be a good time to upgrade your PC. Bethesda's title, which is locked at 30 fps on Xbox consoles, recommends an RTX 2080/ Radeon RX 6800 XT combined with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X/Intel i5-10600K.

As for Phantom Liberty, CD Projekt has actually increased the minimum system requirements for Cyberpunk 2077 if you want to play the expansion.

Permalink to story.

The irony is people cried about prepurching Cyberpunk 2077 and yet people are still pre purchasing Starfield. I'm holding the line and waiting 3 to 6 months post launch. The wait will reward itself 3 fold. Price might drop. Game becomes more stable through patches and drivers. Lastly the modding community potentially will make this game into something even more special. I still sometimes get a feed about 500 mods plus in skyrim till this day.

Last edited:
The irony is people cried about prepurching Cyberpunk 2077 and yet people are still pre purchasing Starfield. I'm holding the line and waiting 3 to 6 months post launch. The wait will reward itself 3 fold. Price might drop. Game becomes more stable through patches and drivers. Lastly the modding community potentially will make this game into something even more special. I still sometimes get a feed a about 500 mods plus in skyrim till this day.

Ever heard of GamePass?
Waiting on playing games is so 1990....get on with the times...get on GamePass!

These same people that contribute to games being a mess on release by preordering will complain about the quality of the game later. The lack of self awareness is incredible.

The demo looks awesome but I’m still waiting on reviews to see how long I need to wait to buy it.

Maybe the tales of few bugs are true. If so, I can buy it immediately. If not, I have a huge backlog of games while I wait.

So.....you keep paying to keep playing is the answer?? Brilliant idea....../s
For me it is worth it, it will take me months to get to the price you have to pay for a game right now, at least I would have played more games with more exclusives that you would be paying for each game. and for me at least its not that expensive, its an affordable way for people to play their games.GamePass has EA games as well and maybe soon even Activision, so yes, get with the times whether you like it or not.

Where is the dislike button?

Things like that are not okay because you could hurt someone's feelings :-(

Kids are taught today to not hurt feelings and that they are all special and everything they do is good. So when some one does tell them that their idea/thoughts are stupid or tell them no, they don't know how to handle the rejection and they lash out.

We can't have people lashing out, now. We need to keep telling these folks they're good and special, so no down voting.

For me it is worth it, it will take me months to get to the price you have to pay for a game right now, at least I would have played more games with more exclusives that you would be paying for each game. and for me at least its not that expensive, its an affordable way for people to play their games.GamePass has EA games as well and maybe soon even Activision, so yes, get with the times whether you like it or not.
It's an example of willful blindness. Even just the number of games I have finished has a value multitudes higher than the Game Pass cost. If you include other games that I liked but haven't gotten back to yet for one reason or another it's a complete blowout.

What's the annual cost of the game pass? From what I'm seeing it's around $180. If you are spending $180 on a pass and never own your games vs spending money on games alacart. I personally never spent $180 annually on gaming and wait for great deals. In the end I own hundreds of games and paid a fraction of the cost. I guess if all you do is play games all day and beta test on initial releases gamepass makes more sense. The gaming community appreciates your beta testing, while some wait for a more polished and discounted experience. I guess having patience is a more of a mature virtue.

There are TONS of gaming deals for amazing games of both AAA and indie variety.

There is no shortage of games, if anything, market is absolutely flooded and our gaming backlogs could be measured in years not months.

Therefore, I fail to see the tearing hurry some people are in esp. nowadays when even IP like Lord of the ring has been desecrated.

Fellow community members will warn you out of goodwill but hey, it's your dime! Do whatever.

For those who still want to preorder Starfield, despite of many warning signs, better order from Fanatical. They sell Starfield with a 15% discount. Translation - Fanatical takes less or up to 15% for the sale, instead of 30%, which Steam usually takes.
https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/starfield
And btw, even if you preordered the game, you can ask for a refund - you can cancel your pre-purchase and receive a full refund up to 48 hours before the game is due to be released or preloading* begins, so long as you have not revealed the actual product key.

For those who want to buy CP2077 and preorder Phantom Liberty expansion, also despite of many warning signs, better order from GOG. But for expansion, you have to buy or already bought CP2077 from GOG too.
The same here, if you do not like the game, or has too many bugs for an enjoyable playgame you can ask for a refund and you have more time available to ask for the refund.
https://www.gog.com/en/game/cyberpunk_2077_phantom_liberty

Have fun (y) (Y)

P.S. About the warning signs

Let's hope that Starfield will be a good or great game, because I like SyFy RPG games the most.

Last edited:
Stopped purchasing games at full prices. Epic gives away these games for free after sometime anyway. If at all I am tempted to buy at Steam, only when there's a discount of at least 80%.

I'm in no hurry to play new games. And never at full prices. Too many backlogged free games to play anyway.

Sad to see people are "pre-purchasing"... The people who are being destroyed by their own greed and desire.

What's the annual cost of the game pass? From what I'm seeing it's around $180. If you are spending $180 on a pass and never own your games vs spending money on games alacart. I personally never spent $180 annually on gaming and wait for great deals. In the end I own hundreds of games and paid a fraction of the cost. I guess if all you do is play games all day and beta test on initial releases gamepass makes more sense. The gaming community appreciates your beta testing, while some wait for a more polished and discounted experience. I guess having patience is a more of a mature virtue.
Thank you for your opinion, the latter was mine. I don't work in $, so for me a game would cost ZAR800 to ZAR1600 new and I only pay ZAR79 for PC Game Pass a month, witch is about ZAR949($51,55) for the year in that time I could play a lot of games, and not pay ZAR1000 to play a game, so like I said for me its worth it, and its not like I don't buy games, but for me not all games are worth buying with short 6 to 8 hours campaign, maybe don't speak for a gaming community we are all part off, just assuming you know how much I have to pay for GamePass is not a Mature virtue.

Thank you for your opinion, the latter was mine. I don't work in $, so for me a game would cost ZAR800 to ZAR1600 new and I only pay ZAR79 for PC Game Pass a month, witch is about ZAR949($51,55) for the year in that time I could play a lot of games, and not pay ZAR1000 to play a game, so like I said for me its worth it, and its not like I don't buy games, but for me not all games are worth buying with short 6 to 8 hours campaign, maybe don't speak for a gaming community we are all part off, just assuming you know how much I have to pay for GamePass is not a Mature virtue.
So the question that asked how much does gamepass cost annually for everyone here to make up their own mind is assuming. Me doing the research for everyone to see was not for only you but for everyone watching. You missed the whole point and are taking it personally. The being patient part was for the game to become more stable through patches post launch and not repurchase, buy it at launch and or buy a game pass. I did mention if you pay more for games annually then gamepass makes more sense I didn't say it doesn't make sense at all but in the end you don't own your games. Others mention that if you decided not to pay for gamepass and just play the hundreds of games already are out that are often heavily discounted you will be able to fill the void with so much content that your heart desires. Also steam often prices games at a fraction of the cost in different parts of the world. Lastly for the price of this one game at $69.99 I was able to buy 4 games all Triple aaa titles all fairly recent that I can play and own 4 ever ( Hitman 3, Plagues tail requim, FarCry 6 and Wolfenstein youngblood)..

So.....you keep paying to keep playing is the answer?? Brilliant idea....../s
With the current pricing it save you a bucket load of money. I play a game's story through then uninstall and move to the next. You only need to play a couple of games a year to make the sub worthwhile. So far I've paid probably 100 bucks and played 1500 bucks worth of games.

If you like to play the same game repeatedly or multiplayer it's not worth it.

Choose your poison.

The irony is people cried about prepurching Cyberpunk 2077 and yet people are still pre purchasing Starfield. I'm holding the line and waiting 3 to 6 months post launch. The wait will reward itself 3 fold. Price might drop. Game becomes more stable through patches and drivers. Lastly the modding community potentially will make this game into something even more special. I still sometimes get a feed about 500 mods plus in skyrim till this day.

There's that aspect and then the price in general. They keep charging more and more for products that are broken on release. I'm not paying them to be a beta tester. I'll wait until it's on sale and there's a mountain of mods to fix what will either be broken or underdelivered on.

Back