Starfield receives official DLSS support, improved performance, FOV slider, and more

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: Starfield players using Nvidia graphics cards should experience significantly improved performance, whether or not they enable the game's new official DLSS mode. Bethesda has also introduced several other highly requested features to address the game's somewhat controversial launch, though more improvements are still needed.

This week, Bethesda released what might be Starfield's most significant patch to date. It includes numerous features that many players argue should have been available at the game's initial release in September.

The most noteworthy addition is DLSS upscaling and frame generation for Nvidia RTX GPUs. Its initial omission was one of the most controversial aspects of Starfield's launch. Because AMD sponsored the game, this led to accusations that Team Red encourages the developers it cooperates with to forego its rival's upscaling technology.

Starfield's initial graphics benchmarks further fueled suspicion towards AMD because they helped Bethesda optimize the game for PC and Xbox. In September, Starfield GPU comparisons showed Nvidia cards significantly underperforming compared to AMD hardware. Reports indicate the latest update, which initially rolled out in beta, greatly narrows the gap independent of upscaling. Additionally, AMD CPUs are now utilized more efficiently.

Other notable late additions include a FOV slider, 32:9 ultrawide support, and HDR calibration. However, Starfield's HDR does not work on Windows 10, likely due to its reliance on Windows 11's Auto HDR.

Predictably, the mod community quickly created DIY solutions for these missing features post-launch. However, the new patch means less modding is required for what many consider essential functionality. Still, Windows 10 users will probably need to visit Nexus Mods for HDR. Bethesda plans to introduce official mod support next year through the network it uses for Skyrim and Fallout 4 mods on PC and console.

Last but not least, the Starfield update adds a button for players to immediately eat food as they encounter it for a minor health boost, a small addition that could save a significant amount of time. Eating previously required picking up food, navigating to it in the inventory screen, and then selecting it.

Starfield is Bethesda's biggest-ever launch, with six million players, though Steam stats indicate enthusiasm could be cooling. The game's concurrent player count has fallen below Skyrim, and its current Steam review rating is mixed, making it Bethesda's worst-reviewed game on the store, with the exception of Fallout 4 VR.

Yet, Starfield maintains a stronger position among non-Steam users. It is currently the most-played Xbox game, excluding perennial favorites like Madden, Roblox, Call of Duty, NBA 2K, and Minecraft, and it's the most popular PC game in the Xbox catalog.

Bethesda has plans for at least one expansion for Starfield but has yet to share specifics about the content or release date.

Permalink to story.

One step at the time. It's going to be interesting to see how far Bethesda goes with the patches and improvements until the Mod community absolutely crushes everything with their incredible support

It's creation engine; dlss is the least needed thing possible; bugs and instability are creation engine trademarks

It's creation engine; dlss is the least needed thing possible; bugs and instability are creation engine trademarks
Creation engine is the least of the games problems. The story is shallow and uninteresting. The game is afraid to give you any really choice because it's afraid to offend anyone

Creation engine is the least of the games problems. The story is shallow and uninteresting. The game is afraid to give you any really choice because it's afraid to offend anyone
Dialogue made me quit the game it was so annoying. It's like a child wrote it.

Bethesda needs to abandon creation engine. its extremely antiquated with all its loading screens and scaling limitations. Jump on the UE5 bandwagon for elder scrolls 6 plzkthx

Bethesda needs to abandon creation engine. its extremely antiquated with all its loading screens and scaling limitations. Jump on the UE5 bandwagon for elder scrolls 6 plzkthx
Abandoning the creation engine would kill the Bethesda modding community as we know it. But if you're talking about the starfield loading screens, it has very little to do with the engine and tons to do with lazy development. Starfield is just loading screen to loading screen, the ship feels like more of a formality.

UE5 is great, but I've been molding Bethesda games since Oblivion. The way that the creation engine allows you to apply mods, change load orders and even uninstall bad ones has given molders the flexibility to molders to make elaborate mods or even overhauls.

I won't deny any of the problems that the creation engine has but that's the compromise we make for the mod support that is synonymous with Bethesda titles.

As a modder, if they had to switch engines I would rather them go source engine than UE5. UE5 is a fantastic engine and I look forward to seeing Wilmore games released for it, but it's just not up to the task of molding in the way that the creation engine is.

If you aren't into mods then I understand your sentiment and everything I said probably means nothing

Abandoning the creation engine would kill the Bethesda modding community as we know it. But if you're talking about the starfield loading screens, it has very little to do with the engine and tons to do with lazy development. Starfield is just loading screen to loading screen, the ship feels like more of a formality.

UE5 is great, but I've been molding Bethesda games since Oblivion. The way that the creation engine allows you to apply mods, change load orders and even uninstall bad ones has given molders the flexibility to molders to make elaborate mods or even overhauls.

I won't deny any of the problems that the creation engine has but that's the compromise we make for the mod support that is synonymous with Bethesda titles.

As a modder, if they had to switch engines I would rather them go source engine than UE5. UE5 is a fantastic engine and I look forward to seeing Wilmore games released for it, but it's just not up to the task of molding in the way that the creation engine is.

If you aren't into mods then I understand your sentiment and everything I said probably means nothing
How come I don't see any modders reducing loading screens? Is that element restricted from modding?

How come I don't see any modders reducing loading screens? Is that element restricted from molding
In a sense since the game isn't open source. My problem with the loading screens is that I don't feel like I'm flying anywhere, it's just menus and loading screens. All of starfield feels lazy, it's just a garbage game with a garbage developer. I used to love Bethesda and working with the creation engine. And loading wasn't an issue in fallout 4 or skyrim, this is a new issue specific to the game.

Back