Bethesda confirms DLSS and other highly requested features are coming to Starfield

Daniel Sims

Staff
A hot potato: The omission of Nvidia's DLSS upscaling technology was one of the most controversial topics surrounding Starfield's launch. However, the PC version's lack of other basic features also baffled many users. In a small update, Bethesda has revealed a vague roadmap describing its plans to fix some of the game's biggest issues.

A minor Starfield hotfix from this week comes with a promise from Bethesda to eventually add DLSS, a FOV slider, an HDR calibration menu, 32:9 ultrawide monitor support, and more. Although mods started proliferating for Starfield hours after its launch, the developer also mentioned that it would add mod support early next year.

Starfield currently only offers native FSR2 upscaling, which supports Xbox and recent graphics cards from all vendors. Although DLSS only works on the last few years of Nvidia GPUs, it will be a welcomed addition for owners with compatible cards, as it offers higher image quality than FRS2, especially in motion and at lower resolutions. Bethesda didn't mention plans for adding Intel's XeSS solution.

The game's initial support for FSR2 makes adding the other upscaling technologies a relatively simple task, evidenced by the third-party mods enabling them. Bethesda hasn't said whether its official DLSS implementation includes DLSS3 frame generation (only compatible with RTX 4000 cards), but a mod for this feature also recently became free. The mod's original creator, PureDark, initially locked it behind DRM to Patreon subscriptions.

Other mods add functions like HDR customization, FOV adjustment, and ultrawide resolutions. Many PC users would consider these features standard requirements for modern big-budget releases and their absence from Starfield to be a colossal blunder. In particular, HDR doesn't work correctly in the PC game even though it is functional on Xbox.

Unsurprisingly, official mod support in Starfield will work similarly to Skyrim and Fallout 4. Early next year, Bethesda will add Starfield to its Creation Club, where Xbox and PC users can find a curated selection of mods. Meanwhile, modders can continue using Nexus Mods, where a Starfield script extender is already laying essential foundations for future work.

This week's hotfix should result in fewer crashes and increased framerates. Bethesda says it continually works with Nvidia, AMD, and Intel to improve Starfield's performance on all graphics cards--a remark likely made to dispel suspicions that its partnership with AMD led it to favor that company's hardware.

Starfield currently runs around 20 percent worse on Nvidia GPUs than on equivalent AMD cards, and initial analyses found that hyperthreading on Intel CPUs didn't perform correctly. Nvidia has since released a minor over-the-air update that should slightly improve performance for users with Resizable BAR enabled (navigate to Help > System Information in the Nvidia Control Panel to check).

Another accessibility feature Bethesda wants to introduce is a map for cities. Difficulty navigating settlements like New Atlantis has been one of the most frequent complaints from Starfield players. Last but perhaps not least, Bethesda promises to add a function allowing players to immediately eat food they see lying around instead of picking it up and eating it from the inventory.

Permalink to story.

Dlss is Most downloaded mode for starfield near 1 million downloads.
Crazy they did not include it on launch.

Also, Microsoft announced today starfield is available on Geforce Now.

Console gamers <<< beat game, move on
PC gamers <<< spend months beta testing, finally get playable stable version, lose interest, move on halfway through game, get new GPU, go back to game that now runs smoothly and with high framerate, finally beat game 4 years later

Edit Quick note: This was a joke. I'm a PC gamer and it was simply a joke about poor ports on PC lately. If you are offended by this instead of amused, then you are in denial of the current state of PC gaming.

Last edited:
PC gamers <<< spend months beta testing, finally get playable stable version, lose interest, move on halfway through game, get new GPU, go back to game that now runs smoothly and with high framerate, finally beat game 4 years later
lol you play on console

This is one of the only positive moves now that Bethesda is owned by Microsoft, people won't have to settle for Todd's *****ic 'This game is optimized you just need better hardware' response a few days ago and even if not publicly so he probably got told to STFU about it: Microsoft needs them game pass subs.

LOL. Well. Bethesa games usually take me one to two years to complete. I go very (too) calmly, checking under each stone and trying to complete them as much as I can. In that time some have received a hardware update. but yes, in all of them I have had to deal with third-party optimizations, mods and patches, while Bethesda takes the time (theirs) to do it themselves.

...and some PC gamers wait for the bugs to be ironed out and then for the price to plummet.

I've not played the game but if they could fix the game and making each planet more explorable like Skyrim or fallout and do a Hello Games did with no man sky but better, and turn it into the open world rpg it was mean to be I'm sure this game will still make beathda plenty of money. I'm not saying to fix anything inherited to the engine like loading.

This guy invented a scenario that never happened and he's so much smarter than these people he imagined. Lmao.

This guy invented a scenario that never happened and he's so much smarter than these people he imagined. Lmao.
Actually, as a PC Gamer myself, it was a joke as well as an experience. I'm not pretending to be smarter than anyone. But, to say that PC gaming hasn't suffered from this kind of (exaggerated) scenario is denial.

LOL. Well. Bethesa games usually take me one to two years to complete. I go very (too) calmly, checking under each stone and trying to complete them as much as I can. In that time some have received a hardware update. but yes, in all of them I have had to deal with third-party optimizations, mods and patches, while Bethesda takes the time (theirs) to do it themselves.
Thanks for realizing that my post was a joke. Absolutely, in fact, the best part of Bethesda games is the ability to mod them. I imagine in six months this will be a very different game on PC for modders than it is on Xbox, even though I know there are limited mods that will be on Xbox as well.

Actually, as a PC Gamer myself, it was a joke as well as an experience. I'm not pretending to be smarter than anyone. But, to say that PC gaming hasn't suffered from this kind of (exaggerated) scenario is denial.
Hey, no problem. It's hard to tell whether something is a joke these days, for obvious reasons. There is some truth in what you were saying, it was just exaggerated.

Considering how long skyrim has been bursting onto new stages year after year, you were all dopes to buy this game on day 1 anyway.

maybe even year 1.

Now all they need to do is to fix the buggy UI menus and allow players to fly their ships near ground level for quicker movement across long distances. Or give us rovers.

And I hate that you can either control main thrust or control lateral thrusters, but not both simultaneously.

Back