TechSpot

Start button being renamed?

By Shadowrunner
Dec 12, 2005
  1. Is there any such thing as renaming that start button to something else? and if so, how?

2. puppetgrimm1

puppetgrimm1 TS Rookie Posts: 50

Start Menu Text

yes, there is a way too change the start button text by altering the registry.
    There is however a few problems. You can only use up to 5 digits and you have to deal with the regitry. Anyway the following link will give you all the information you need to change the text on the start menu.

http://www.tweakxp.com/article36721.aspx

Look down the list of tweaks until you reach one that says "change text on start menu."

Late
    Puppetgrimm

3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

Just make sure you back up your registry before you start messing around in there. You can do some serious damage, and if it's not backed up you're screwed.

BTW
    :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

4. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

Or you can use a program called "resource hacker" to modify the name of the start button in "explorer.exe", and use as many digits as you like (if I recall correctly - it was a long time ago that I last did this.

edit: Heres a link to a guide which might help... http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/xpstartbutton.php

Don't know if it works though, but as long as you have everything backed up (ie, copy the original explorer.exe to a safe place before messing with it!) you should be fine.

5. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 106

is there an easier way to do it?

6. Spike

Nope - but it's not really that difficult by any method mentioned above - just follow the instructions to the letter.

7. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 106

No, I mean is there a way to just do it using regedit?

8. Spike

Not as far as I'm aware I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure there isn't.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.