TechSpot

Starting in safe mode and/or MS DOS mode

By shamwari6246
Jun 21, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,

My dilemma,
    1. I need to get into the Recovery Console to copy a corrupt system file, but it asks for admin password (which i dont know)
    2. To make the password not required I need to start pc in safe mode to alter the HKEY registry to value of '1'.
    3. When I start in safe mode i get a message saying in have corrupt file called "ntoskrnl.exe" and so wont start
    4. To fix this file I need to copy it from my WinXP cd to the system32 folder which needs to be done in Recovery Console
    5 goto number 1 above

This is ever looping circle.

Can anyone offer a solution to my problem?

wayne

2. superty12

superty12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 413

Try pressing enter at the recovery console screen without typing anything.

3. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,425   +77

If you download and create a Linux stand-alone CD system (i.e. one which will boot from a CD) then you will get read-write access to your OS without your Windows OS actually running. With the file ntoskrnl.exe file already copied to some other part of your HDD (or a USB drive), you can copy it whilst running Linux - having first removed the original file properties of hidden,system.

After copying the new version it might also need it's properties set to hidden,system.