startup message problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running windows 98 and we have got DSL, ever since they loaded it into the computer, every time we start it up we get a message box that wants us to enter Network Password. We hit cancel and it works, is there a way to get rid of this message.
E-mail me rodeo2cool4u@yahoo.com Thanks

There's a couple of things you can do. I know in some instances it is not possible to get rid of the box (to my knowledge).

The first one is to change your network settings. Right click on "Network Neighborhood" and you should see a list of protocols etc.. Double click on "Client for Microsoft Networks" and it will give you some options you can configure. Somewhere, there should be an option for "quick logon". Check this and OK. You will probably be asked for your Windows 98 CD and to restart your computer. On next reboot, it should work....

If not...

I've used this trick in Windows Me, so it may work in Windows 98 as well. It involves changing / adding some regisry stuff.

Start / Run / regedit [ok]

Browse HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Now, my memory is cloudy, but I think the appropriate keys are Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Winlogon

You will need to make the following data (string) by right clicking on the right window pane in Winlogon and choose "New" and "String Value".

The first string you should make AutoAdminLogon. Once you make it, double click on it and change the value to 1

The second one you should make is DefaultPassword. Leave this entry blank if you do not have a password. If you do have a password, double click on it and change the value to your password.

The last one is DefaultUsername. This will be the name you use to logon.

Once finished, close the Window and restart Windows 98. You should not see the logon box. If you still do, I'm unsure how to get rid of it. Maybe someone else will have better ideas.

Install TweakUi on your computer. you can get it from Microsoft web site by searching for it. Read readme file to install it, as its not excecutable file.
Once you install it you can see the icon TweakUi in cotrol panel.

Open TweakUi and at the last you will se Log on.

go there check mark Automatic log on to the windows....

fill out the User id and password.

Restart and you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back