Static electricity from our body could kill motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n0tepad

STATIC ELECTRICITY from our body/hand could kill motherboard?

is that true?? B'coz when I clean my motherboard I was touching itself , and then afterward , I turn on the Computer immediately and it won't boot . ( the the ALL FUN are spinning, Keyboard is lighting, also the mouse ) and then I tried to disconnect all peripherals ( HDD, RAM, DVD ROM) except the processor and then I turned on the system eventually the motherboard didn't beep anymore ..

and then I asked my professor about it, then he said the motherboard may be ruined due to STATIC ELECTRICITY from my HAND..

I tried to pull down the motherboard and place it to non-conductor surface, and run the system but it's still not working ..

I also checked all peripherals if I connected those correctly and I did ..

:D ty ..

HELP ..

Hi n0tepad,
Unfortunately that is true. Thats the reason every component has a warning to use an ati static wrist strap when assembling or handling, or to discharge the static by touching the metal portion of the chassis when installing,assembling,or disassembling. You will get away with accidentally shocking a component more times than not...but it can damage or ruin them.:(

Hi n0tepad,
Unfortunately that is true. Thats the reason every component has a warning to use an ati static wrist strap when assembling or handling, or to discharge the static by touching the metal portion of the chassis when installing,assembling,or disassembling. You will get away with accidentally shocking a component more times than not...but it can damage or ruin them.:(

Ahhh ok .. TY ,

anyway I really do not know either my Motherboard or Processor is Ruined.. I do not know those symptoms ..

Usually its the motherboard that fries. Especially if thats the thing that you've been mucking around with.

And I hope you weren't doing anything illegal touching it like that.... :D

Usually its the motherboard that fries. Especially if thats the thing that you've been mucking around with.

And I hope you weren't doing anything illegal touching it like that.... :D

ty for u sir..

let me ask 1 thing , if the processor ruined would MoBo still beep??

I know once the MoBo doesn't have a processor it will have a long beep .. right ???

I am not sure if the processor is ruin what would happen ..

You'll have to check your mobo's manual for the beep codes.

And yes, if the CPU is ruined, the m/b will have a certain beep pattern. Same with RAM/graphics card. Beep pattern will tell you exactly what the problem is.

they sell ESD wristbands and mats that you can stand on and wear when working inside the case. Having said that,.....

does anybody know of an instance where a board was fried from a tech not using wristbands or mats? I'm sure it's happened somewhere but no where that i've seen in person.

does anybody know of an instance where a board was fried from a tech not using wristbands or mats? I'm sure it's happened somewhere but no where that i've seen in person.
Perhaps that has happened here. :)

I really doubt that static electricity killed his setup, I'm sure some component could get zapped with a really small discharge, but more likely you'd need a big enough discharge that you'd hear, see, and or feel before anything gets fried. And you'd have to have not touched your case before touching the motherboard. So I think it is unlikely that the board died from static, and more likely that something isn't hooked up right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back