Static IP/wireless Internet address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'm new here, made an account just to post this, so if this is in the wrong section, sorry.

This computer has cable internet, but a computer downstairs has wireless internet.

Basically, I really want to play a game called Warcraft III, and later Starcraft II and host games on them. To do that, you need to have a static IP address and forward ports 6112 or something. Basically, it worked for around a year, then it suddenly stopped working. I checked, saw it changed to dynamic, changed it back to static and the wireless internet stopped working. A computer person came along, changed it back to dynamic and it started working.

Basically, I want to know how I can fix this without any great trouble, and without having the internet stop working.

I was going to link to a guide to hosting which I had read, but I need 5 posts for that, but just google Hosting on Warcraft III.

static vs dynamic addressing - - there are two ways to achieve that and with wifi wireless, only one will do it right.

The right way to get a wireless system to have a static ip address is to let the wifi router
force a fixed address to a given MAC (which is unique to every adaptor).

Most of the time, wifi devices just don't care and the dynamic DHCP does nicely.
There may be an issue with your wifi router and its ability to do this --

SO; what is the make & model number of your wifi router so we can verify the setup?

Thanks

Thanks for replying!
My system stuff is:
Operating system:Windows 2.6.0.6002 (SP 2)
CPU type:Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
CPU Speed (GHz):3.02
System memory (GB):2.998
Graphics card model:NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Graphics card driver:nvd3dum.dll
Desktop resolution:1440x900
Hard disk size (GB):200.434
Hard disk free space (GB):49.02

My router is a Netgear WGR614 v7

Thanks, hope you can help.

Address Reservation pg 6-10

Enter the desired IP address and the MAC address of the machine to which it will be assigned.
This will cause that machine to always have that IP address and it then becomes 'static'
and you can port forward port 6112 or any other to the IP address.

How to find the MAC address? Use the View Attached Devices to see the IP address and MAC for each active system,
or just go to the system of choice, get a command prompt (In windows) and enter ipconfig /all

Notice: The Gateway address shown is the router address (192.168.0.1) and the IP/MAC pair above
*must* be different only in the last digit and be higher that any address that could be generated by DHCP (set the dhcp range to 2-10 & the static address at 20)

Okay, basically I went into ipconfig /all but I can't find this MAC address.

You also said to enter the desired Ip address and MAC address of the machine to which it will be assigned, but where should I enter that?

And how is this way of getting a static IP address different from going to my routers website and clicking the static IP address button?

in part, ipconfig will display
Code:
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AA-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF  [B]<<< this is the MAC[/B]
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

but where should I enter that?
Login to the router and go to the Address Reservation as shown on pg 6-10
And how is this way of getting a static IP address different ...
This ensures the address will be associated with one and only one physical system.

I think the other you are refering to is the Static Routes, which is a different subject altogether. To see how static routes work, you can see how Windows has created routes using run->cmd /k route print which is no joy to read or explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back