TechSpot

Steam bets on in-app purchases with free-to-play games

By Jos
Jun 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Valve has taken the wraps off a new section on Steam reserved for games following the 'Free-to-play' model. Although the company has hosted promotional free-to-play weekends before, with games such…

Read the whole story

2. TF2 became shitty game because of the stupid hats and item store.

3. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,095   +43

wonder why i havent heard of any of these games, have i been living under a rock?

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

Did a quick scan through Metacritic to see what the story was on these games as I frankly hadn't heard of any of them. Seems to be your standard, indie-type games. A couple of FPS, a couple RPG, a couple hybrids. None of them received overly good reviews and a couple were below average (Spiral Knights was the worst rated).

(shrugs) I may check out a couple when I'm bored some day. But doubtful - I still have 20+ games I've purchased on Steam sales that I haven't even touched yet. ;)

5. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 958   +114

Don't worry, only one I recognize is Global Agenda. I own global agenda but I don't know what the free agent part is about. It's a fun game good for about 20 hours of game play, I recommend it to everyone. If anyone was into the Starsiege Tribes series you'll love this game. Again, don't know what the free agent part is about, steam doesn't say what the difference is on the store page.

6. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Rookie Posts: 313

If I ever feel like frittering away my monthly GB cap, I may try one... oh wait. lol

7. Saturday

Saturday TS Rookie

At least it's not negatively affecting anything. More options and free content for the service that keeps getting better

8. Muggs

Muggs TS Rookie Posts: 56

I played Champions online when it was 1st released and they are beyond nickle and diming you to death with the F2P version. Plus that game got real old real fast. I plan on picking up global agenda with free agent. I always wanted to mess with the game but didn't want to waste the money now with F2p I can see what it is all about. Not sure if I will get it off steam or just through the Global Agenda website. Not sure what the benefit is with using steam.

9. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I played Spiral Knights for a bit. They wanted me to spend $59.95 ($129.95 value!) for some energy and crap. Ridiculous. But at least I got a free TF2 hat out of it, lol.

10. Alliance Of Valiant Arms is a great game. Very cool to have it on Steam, now I can rid myself of Reactor (IJJI's Steam clone).

11. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,686   +60

Funny I thought they already had free games. They should take some games from gametag they had some good ones. Also it would be epic if they get a street fighter 2 multiplayer without the lag.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.