Steam forums shut down due to security breach?

By Shawn Knight
Nov 7, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Steam’s official forums are currently offline for what is being called a maintenance issue, although there’s reason to believe that the site’s vBulletin forum software may have been hacked. Valve…

Read the whole story
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,229   +314

LOL...well I'm glad to see that they offer pRon along with all their hacking tools. :p
  3. example1013

example1013 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 280

I'm sure that site is totally legit and doesn't install any malware at all.

Also, Steam has forums?
  4. Unfortunately you just advertised the naughty website.
  5. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

Are the Steam forum's user credentials and the login in credentials for the Steam client the same?

Or do you have to register for both separately?
  6. You have to register for forum accounts separately from your steam account. Although, I'm sure most users use the same login info.
  7. herpaderp

herpaderp TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 159

Separate. Of course, anyone fool enough to use the same for both is probably going to find out that was a bad decision...
  8. Leeky

Aye, but I wasn't sure if it was one global login that encompassed all Steam services or not, hence asking for confirmation. Thanks for letting me know. :)
  9. motrin

motrin TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 149

10. Leeky

Thanks for the share Motrin.

Looks pretty bloody clear they were hacked (assuming that is the Steam forum as I can't say I've ever seen it before) looking at those screengrabs!
  11. r8bwp

r8bwp Newcomer, in training Posts: 27

yes thats the steam forum...... sticky is an admin
  12. motrin

well they shut down the forums with in minutes after the post was up. looked like only the valve admin account was hacked but hey maybe more thats why they shut down everything
  13. Rasta211

Rasta211 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 191   +24

I hesitate to upgrade to the latest browser because of add-on incompatibility as well.

14. This is Anders from vBulletin. Just wanted to mention that we do not agree with this statement and feel it is unsupported. We take security reports very seriously and vBulletin software is very secure.

"If we had to take a guess, we’d point the blame at Valve’s use of forum software vBulletin which has seen its share of security breaches in the past."
  15. DeliciousPie

DeliciousPie TechSpot Member Posts: 43

Exactly what I was thinking :/
  16. My account details and password were used to attempt a login with my Google account. The only thing that shared the same password, and had my email address on file. I forgot to change my steam password, and as such Google blocked access to my account until I managed to provide my security details.

The login details are as follows

Access Type [ ? ] Location (IP address) [ ? ] Date/Time
    Unknown Ukraine (volia.com:77.122.54.68) Nov 8 (1 day ago)
  17. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Until you pull your finger out and stop being a "guest" all of your opinions are invalid…
  18. superty12

superty12 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 432

It's a security breach. Steam just notifed me.
  19. motrin

yea check out the forums. updated

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.