Steam Greenlight goes live, lets you vote on hundreds of games

Jos

Following up from its announcement last month, Valve has officially flipped the switch on the new Greenlight feature that will allow users to vote and comment on what games and content should be released on Steam. Developers can submit games, including concept work and early playable builds, for the community to start viewing and voting. A number of indie games are already available on Greenlight.

Submitting games is completely free but a non-limited Steam account is required (an account that owns at least one game). There are also a few guidelines developers must follow, like including a square branding image to represent the game on Greenlight lists and searches, at least one video demonstration and four screenshots, as well as a written description of the game and its expected system requirements.

Essentially, Valve's crowd-sourcing its submission and approval process, somewhat like Kickstarter but without pledging any money. “The community should be deciding what gets released. After all, it’s the community that will ultimately be the ones deciding which release they spend their money on,” reads their FAQ.

By involving players in the process, Greenlight enables lesser-known developers to promote their games in the popular platform while also giving the community some voting power on what gets released and what doesn’t.

Of course, there’s some human intervention from Valve as well. The company says the specific number of votes a game receives doesn't matter as much to get approval as relative interest in it compared with other games in Steam Greenlight. Valve will be reaching out to developers as their games start getting traction regardless of whether they have achieved a specific number of votes.

Permalink to story.

I think the games on vote needs more polish (even for a indie game), before I would pay for it. So far after flipping through the 12 pages, I don't see anything worthwhile.

In any case I still think this is a great idea.

Oh if anyone see anything awesome that I might've missed on greenlight, please PM me.

Wait, you didn't vote for Towing Simulator??? How about the timeless classic Truck Driving Simulator? Damn, they got my votes, other than that nothing of interest, all looks very mediocre at best. Some games just look plain bad, hardly worth a mention let alone a vote.

Voting? Not a big deal to me. I have bought over 10 games from Value. It the game's forum where I can find detail information about the game from players and reviews that have made me buy a game.

Voting? Without a explaination of the reason behind their votes, it is meanless information to me.

Voting? Not a big deal to me. I have bought over 10 games from Value. It the game's forum where I can find detail information about the game from players and reviews that have made me buy a game.

Voting? Without a explaination of the reason behind their votes, it is meanless information to me.

The thing is that you can't buy the game until they place it on STEAM. And voting will get the game on STEAM.

After 3 pages I realized I probably wouldn't see anything worthwhile so I stopped. I told myself I'd come back and finish the rest but I just don't have the free time.

Okay so I went back last night and flipped through a few more pages....its now up to 22 pages. And I did find a few very interesting games:

-project zomboid - zombie survival - outdated graphics - but seems good for a indie.
-dawn of fantasy
-heroes and generals

Back