Steam is running in compatibility mode issue (Win 7 x64)

SNGX1275

I think a while back I was playing Portal and it or Steam itself crashed. My guess is that Windows then deemed it incompatible and switched it to "Compatibility Mode" without giving me the option to not. Either that or I just clicked through on some dialog without paying attention.

Well I very rarely reboot so I didn't really notice this was an issue. On boot though, at the time when the Steam systray icon is loading I get an error pop up saying:
"Running Steam in Windows compatibility mode is not recommended. Please remove any Windows compatibility settings for all users under file properties for steam.exe and restart steam." Then it says click cancel to permanently ignore this warning or click ok to close (roughly, I closed the box).

Now I've right clicked on the start menu icon as well as the real steam.exe file and there is nothing set for compatibility mode.

Am I missing something obvious here?

I don't have an explanation but what happens if you open Steam, click on the Steam menu button and choose Check for Steam Client Updates? Although it is supposed to update automatically, perhaps not rebooting for a long time caused a glitch.

If that doesn't help, I would try uninstalling Steam and reinstalling it.

Back