Steam Wallet brings microtransactions, updates to TF2

Mike

A new update to Valve's Steam game service today introduces the Steam Wallet, allowing users to add money to their accounts for purchasing in-game items or full games. Team Fortress 2 will feature the "first of many" store services, although what games might follow have not been hinted at. Valve has stated that the Wallet will not require players to purchase bundle amounts as with other online game platforms, and that stored money will not be converted from their real-world equivalents (USD, GBP, Euros).

The TF2 update that accompanies the Steam Wallet launches the in-game Mann Co. Store, which allows players to buy cosmetic upgrades such as new hats, new weapon skins, and community-made content. Valve states that the purchasable items will not affect gameplay or give any players an edge for buying content. Existing weapons currently held by players will now feature a "vintage" tag, indicating that they were obtained the old-fashioned way by simply playing the game. Trading items, a feature long requested, has also been enabled as has the option to gift purchases to a friend. For any other questions Valve has released a "Mannconomy FAQ" available here.

Permalink to story.

Valve states that the purchasable items will not affect gameplay or give any players an edge for buying content.

And please Lord let it stay that way...

Well it does...

it effects gameplay: if someone can unlock weapons they require faster, that effects the gameplay significantly.

Emin3nce said:
Well it does...

it effects gameplay: if someone can unlock weapons they require faster, that effects the gameplay significantly.

they can get it faster vs just waiting for it to drop randomly. This means nothing to pubs or comp because pubs are for fun and comp waits a year to make sure everyone has the unlocks/evaluate them. I can only see hats being purchased by people with too much money in their wallet.

The Mann Co. Store is entirely optional.

All items in it, except the Mann Co. baseball cap, can be found or crafted.

Valve has been giving us free stuff for a long time, people need to stop whinnying about things like this.

Also, the new hats don't give stats unless you have the other 3 items equipped.

Valve has been giving us free stuff for a long time, people need to stop whinnying about things like this.

This isn't about the appalling sense of entitlement the majority of games have today, this is about how cash shops can very easily detract from the skill required to paly games and make it more about who has the deepest real-life pockets.

Guest said:

This isn't about the appalling sense of entitlement the majority of games have today, this is about how cash shops can very easily detract from the skill required to paly games and make it more about who has the deepest real-life pockets.

As if the game hasn't already done that from TF1...

DoD:Source crew admitted the latter was dumbed down so n00bs would play it, that's why I still prefer the original albeit older graphics.

Almost all games now are becoming more like console ports or console ports as they are a cash-cow and easy to make (lower quality). Valve in this sense though is the best since their games are well patched. Only niche PC developers continue the original trend of making rock solid games in regards to actual gameplay.

ramonsterns said:

Valve has been duping players since the beginning, presumably to make up for that "free stuff". My account was shut down and all my games stolen one day. I never hacked or violated any policy or agreement. I never shared my account details- nothing. One day I tried to log onto steam to play a game, and was stopped 'this account has been deactivated'. And that's that. No reason as to why all my games were stolen. Their website says very curtly that apparently I MUST have violated their rules. But I've never cheated or hacked on any online game. So I guess that's how they make a lot of their money. Take back their licenses at their whim, and claim erroneously that it was due to violation of policy. They get server time back, and likely repurchased licenses. I'm left with who knows how much money over the years, down the drain. And games on my hard drive that I can never play again, that I can't even uninstall because my Steam account is shut down. Sweet deal, *******s. At least companies like Blizzard ban ACTUAL cheaters and hackers.

i3rucei3ruce said:
ramonsterns said:

Valve has been duping players since the beginning, presumably to make up for that "free stuff". My account was shut down and all my games stolen one day. I never hacked or violated any policy or agreement. I never shared my account details- nothing. One day I tried to log onto steam to play a game, and was stopped 'this account has been deactivated'. And that's that. No reason as to why all my games were stolen. Their website says very curtly that apparently I MUST have violated their rules. But I've never cheated or hacked on any online game. So I guess that's how they make a lot of their money. Take back their licenses at their whim, and claim erroneously that it was due to violation of policy. They get server time back, and likely repurchased licenses. I'm left with who knows how much money over the years, down the drain. And games on my hard drive that I can never play again, that I can't even uninstall because my Steam account is shut down. Sweet deal, *******s. At least companies like Blizzard ban ACTUAL cheaters and hackers.

sometimes accounts are banned by mistake, just look at the MW2 fiasco a few months back...complain to valve and you might get a free game and your account back.

Back