Steam weekend sale: Half off Just Cause 2 and DLC

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If drifting through the skies of a remote tropical paradise sounds like your kind of a weekend getaway, head on over to Steam and grab the latest sale: 50% off Just Cause 2. The sandbox action adventure title puts you in control of Rico Rodriguez, an agent hellbent on tracking down his former mentor and overthrowing the oppressive dictator of a fictional Southeast Asian island.

Along the way, Rico is tasked with causing mass anarchy across 400 square miles with hundreds of standard weapons as well as a unique ability that pairs a ratcheting grapple hook with an instantaneously deployable parachute. The combo makes for an interesting way to travel, slingshot into action, commandeer vehicles, and lets you experience "total aerial freedom."

Minimum specs include Windows Vista (XP is unsupported), a dual-core CPU with SSE3, a DirectX 10-compatible GPU, 2GB of RAM, and 10GB of storage. Just Cause 2 is priced at $24.99, and all three DLC packs are 51% off at $0.49 each. If you get bored of playing solo, be sure to swing by the TechSpot Steam group for some multiplayer action on TF2, L4D2, Alien Swarm and more.

Permalink to story.

No substance, just violence. I hope this one gets banned by most retailers.

lol! at guest, Doom was just violence and was worse than Just Cause, doubt it will get banned.

Also I would seriously suggest everyone try alien swarm, its actually very good considering its free :)

"If drifting through the skies of a remote tropical paradise sounds like your kind of a weekend getaway"

That reminds me of "Mercenaries 2" ..Tho i doubt the AI is as stupid is just Cause 2

Just to comment than this game has an amasing gameplay, it is amasing how much crazy stuft you can do in this game and the level of freedom and how well done and pulished it is. And it even has ninjas in one level.
The bad thing is than it has the worst voice acting, story and characters ever. But it is so fun doing stuft in this game than you just forget about that.

This does look like a better version of mercs 2, still not as good as mercs 1, though

Like many of you I have fallen prey to this non-sense of "buy today, play a few months later when you get time" and to make matters worse I'm currently downloading StarCraft 2!

Anyhow, to those of us who liked the original Far Cry, many critics say this is a better representation of a sequel to that game (no relation though) than Far Cry 2 ever was.

If you like open world / "sand-box" / GTA style games, then you will most likely enjoy Just Cause 2. Like everyone else I have a long list of games that I am playing or want to play. Starcraft 2 is taking most of my time, but I'm also playing Red Dead Redemption and Mario Galaxy 2.

Not sure if anyone cares, but I compiled a list of games with an average rating from numerous sites (Gamespot, IGN, Metacritic, GameRankings, ect...). Here are a few from that list I'm playing:
Mario Galaxy 2: 9.9 /10 !!! (highest rating out of any game this year)
Red Dead Redemption: 9.6 /10
Modern Warfare 2: 9.4 /10

Just Cause 2: 8.4 /10
Other 8.4 /10 games: Borderlands, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Red Faction: Guerilla

So JC2 ended with a slightly above average rating. I would definitely pick this one up @ 50% off. There isn't much of a story that I remember, but you get to blowup anything and the vehicles keep it interesting (Merc 2 is a good comparison - only w/ better graphics).

And yes, Mercenaries 1 was better than Merc 2.

Basically, just how you spawned tanks and gave yourself uzi's and machine guns in GTA, then proceeded to blow up the entire city on a huge rampage.... this is the point of Just Cause 2. That is your mission - have fun.

Also if you have nvidia card you unlock CUDA for water sim, and a bokke filter, making this game have some of the best graphics I've seen. Definitely the best water.

This game was some of the most fun I've had on a PC in ages. It's pure action movie cheese and bombast so if you're looking for a serious game, look elsewhere. Many of the missions are similar and do seem to be a grind, but this is one of those games you play to burn off some steam after a hard day and it rewards you for messing around. For this price it's a great deal, and if your PC has some serious hardware, you can really lose yourself in the beautiful scenery.

I bought it and my GTX 470 runs it like clockwork maxed at 1080P. IMO it falls a bit short of GTA IV in the sandbox catagory, but it's an awesome game never the less!

Love it! Tons of fun! I like stunt jumping from vehicle to vehicle in an epic gun battle. SO over the top, I feel like I'm in a John Woo movie!

Back