TechSpot

SteamBoy is set to be the first mobile Steam gaming console

By Justin Kahn
Jun 16, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. With Steam gaming consoles expected to make a strong push for time share in the living room and Valve's current dominance over the mouse and keyboard realm, a new announcement from E3 looks like Steam could be going mobile as...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,965   +389

Depending on price and if the game library is as extensive as it suggests, this could be the greatest mobile gaming console evar

ETF Soldier likes this.
  3. penn919

penn919 TS Enthusiast Posts: 158   +12

32GB bult-in memory...does this company know that Steam is a digital-only platform? You aren't going to fit many games on this thing at all. If this is truly expected to be a gaming handheld, then it would have to have 128GB built-in storage minimum.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,243   +1,549

I think you are looking for a different term. Games have always been digital. We are not talking about audio CD's here. Don't get the use of optical media confused with analog audio disk.

JC713 likes this.
  5. penn919

Correct. Of course. Perhaps I should've said non-physical media platform.

6. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 737   +31

With 4GB of Ram it isn't going to be a monster. If its just for streaming then thats fine but streaming works well in the home, not across the internet. If its got the hardware to play Windows games independently then its going to cost a bomb or do it badly.

7. ikesmasher

im running 4GB of DDR2 and I can play most of the games in my steam library just fine.

TheLastPanda and ETF Soldier like this.
  8. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Maniac Posts: 1,001   +103

SteamBoy? Oh god...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  9. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 737   +31

Yes most will play with 4GB with a decent processor. Will this have a decent processor in a handheld. My point is that this will have limited use as the CPU to play windows games will require a powerful battery to work on the go and a CPU that will take the price to high. Currently this looks like a gimmick. Good to play in bed or on the sofa when streaming but not "on the go" as the article suggests.

10. cliffordcooley

I'm not so sure about that, with Valve creating their own Linux based OS. There is quite a bit more detail, we still don't know just yet.

11. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,058   +919

Memory management is supposedly more efficient on Linux than on Windows, so that could be a factor.

Auth3ntic0, ETF Soldier and lmike6453 like this.

12. DarkTrazz

DarkTrazz TS Rookie

If they were to put in the latest intel atom platform that could be very interesting to see, it being comparable to a celeron and even a mid end haswell i3. the issue would be a gpu though.

13. penn919

I'm surprised more people aren't taking issue with it's name. There have been some pretty bad game system names, but this one probably takes the cake for least creative.

14. cliffordcooley

One thing that would make it worse is the use of the following emblem as a marketing icon.
    [​IMG]

15. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Booster Posts: 331   +49

Somehow I see the library being mainly the indie titles on steam, making the system really not much better then the Vita ( I own one) because the most common thing released to the vita are indie games.

16. ikesmasher

Honestly if it does PC version of minecraft ill pay $500 for it :p

17. Bubbajim

Bubbajim TS Rookie Posts: 63   +17

I can't tell who's going to sue them first over the name, Valve or Nintendo.

18. tfreakburg

tfreakburg TS Rookie

If they make it work with Onlive's Steam-Cloud streaming service, you've got some pretty sweet options for home and on the go...

19. Björn Svensson

Björn Svensson TS Rookie

Ydes, or those asians doing the anime "SteamBoy"-franchise.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.