SteamOS now supports Intel and AMD graphics

1. When the first SteamOS beta was released last month, gamers with Intel and AMD GPUs were left out in the cold due to the initial "Nvidia graphics only" requirement. Well, things have changed now. The latest alchemist update to the...

Read more
  2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

Cool, im really wanting to try this steam OS I think ill make a mini-itx machine with Steam OS when Iget some extra cash.
  3. Ahmed90

Ahmed90 TS Enthusiast Posts: 99   +10

Personally will wait till the good Linux community start porting the steam/gaming (stuff? :p) to other Linux flavors and then I will be happy to drop windows and get Ubuntu or fedora or mint or or or or :D
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  4. penn919

penn919 TS Booster Posts: 176   +18

I'll probably try it when they allow partitioning. I have a spare 120gb drive that I've since abandoned and only use a small partition of it for pagefile swapping, but I don't even want to have to get rid of it just to test out SteamOS. It's still in beta and there aren't any advantages over windows yet.

I think there's potential for SteamOS to dominate the gamer marketplace, but admittedly that'll be quite a feat. What will be most interesting for me is to find out exactly how many game developers they can manage to get onboard. That's what will ultimately count the most.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

But can you clone a drive with Steam OS to a partitioned drive and it still work?
    Jad Chaar likes this.
  6. No point in bothering with SteamOS in it's current stage. It has a fair amount of issues, and if you want to game on Linux, you're better off installing Ubuntu and running the Linux version of Steam. I'm anxious for SteamOS, however I'll be patient and wait for the official release.
  7. If you want to see games like Call of Duty, StarCraft, Elder Scrolls, etc. on your Linux platform then good luck waiting forever for that to happen.
  8. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Good to see that the OS now supports AMD cards. OpenGL is much faster on AMD cards than nVidia cards so that would help a lot on a Linux-based OS.
  9. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 803   +270

Are we gonna see benchmarks between SOS and W7? If It's a gaming system it should be gaming optimized.
  10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

I doubt it. By the time Steam OS matures, Windows 7 will probably be considered too old.
  11. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

Valve said to "watch out for announcements on which AAA studios will become partners." CES has come and gone, announcements have come and gone, no AAA partners?