TechSpot

Step-by-step Linux beginner's guides

By Leeky
Oct 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Please find below various guides I have written for Linux installations and configuration.

Step-by-step beginners guides to installing Linux

Debian 6.0.4 guide
    Ubuntu 10.04 guide
    Ubuntu 11.10 guide

More to follow as I write new guides.

If you'd like to see a specific distro's installation covered, lets us know by replying below and I'll make efforts to include it where possible.

2. Klaythegreat

Klaythegreat TS Rookie

Ubuntu 12.04 is out now also

3. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +98

Aye, I'll be covering that shortly.

4. Doctor John

Doctor John TS Enthusiast Posts: 247   +15

Do you have anything for Fedora 16/17 please?

5. Leeky

I'm actually currently working on a guide Fedora 17, so should have it up in a few days. I've been running it on my laptop for a couple of weeks now (it replaced openSUSE), and I have to say it'll probably be staying on there. :)

6. Doctor John

Excellent! I'd like a look at that, I'm trying to set Fedora up as a dual-HDD, dual-boot on my main machine, but had a couple of teething problems (which are probably down to me, not the OS:( ).
    Thank you for the prompt reply.

7. Leeky

It would be worth creating a thread in "The Alternative OS" sub-forum with the issues your facing, if you would like more help with resolving them. I'll happily take a look at them when I have a bit more time later on today.

8. Doctor John

Thanks, I may take you up on that later, but I'm hoping that I can fathom them myself, with a little help from your forthcoming guide:).

9. Leeky

No problem. I'll send you a PM once it goes live, Doctor John.

10. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,307   +238

I have a friend that is legally blind. My question is would Linux,Ubunto or one of those OS's be a better bet for him? TIA

11. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 808   +51

Ubuntu would be good, Linux Mint might be even better IMHO, but someone would have to configure the accessibility settings for better usability.

Here's a tutorial: http://ubuntuaccessibility.wordpress.com/

And further reading: https://live.gnome.org/Orca

It does take some work to set up everything, but if money's an issue, it's worth it.
    Yet, paid/proprietary software for accessibility features, particularly speech recognition, are available in Linux. Open-source/free counterparts just don't have the polished, complete feel.

learninmypc likes this.

12. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,307   +238

Thank you.(y)

13. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 808   +51

Anytime, mate. ;) (y)

learninmypc likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.