Steve Ballmer: Microsoft is a devices and services company

By Jos
Oct 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer released his annual letter to shareholders, customers, partners and employees yesterday and offered some guidance on what we can expect from the company over the next few years.

Read more
  2. There goes the neighborhood..
  3. I imagine in the near future we have a hi-tech toilet that operated (flushing for instance) from touchscreen panel with Metro menu style
  4. Bill Gates had a vision and built Microsoft then Steve Balmer had a vision of Apple and decided to make an Apple clone, Microapple.
    Matt12345170 likes this.
  5. ddg4005

ddg4005 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 216   +21

Says him. They're still very much software company.
  6. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 669   +202

Translation: "We're trying to copy Apple and Google without <I>looking</I> like we're copying Apple and Google. Hence why everything we're producing looks even more like Frankenstein than me."
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,751   +1,421

BullSHT!!!

After building Windows 8, which appears to be against a big majority of wishes, I will never believe that statement.
  8. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 453   +53

Thank Ballmer for turning Windows into a gaudy "app" shop. It disgusts me really.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  9. cliffordcooley

Did you say gaudy?

Lets emphasize that word! How about bold, italic, underline, and make the font red. Does it draw more attention now? I would have made the font bigger but that option is not allowed.
  10. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 453   +53

Perhaps ghastly is a more accurate description.
  11. He reminds me of the bad guys from the first Iron Man movie...
    Teko03 likes this.

12. The rise of new evil in gadget's market, careful apple, samsung, dell, hp etc etc.. you've been warned
  13. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 203   +24

IMHO, about the only thing that M$ does really well in the software world is Visual Studio. To me, the rest of their software products are mediocre at best, and I blame that on trying to be everything to everyone. Adding devices and services to their "portfolio" will only push them farther on down the road on trying to be everything to everyone, and I bet that they will still only be masters at Visual Studio.
  14. cliffordcooley

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
  15. @ wiyosaya
    What?! I think Windows is excellent (except for some POS like ME and Vista.). That's coming from someone using Macintosh and Linux in the past. It's definitely not mediocre.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.