Steve Jobs authorized biography release moved to October 24

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The biography of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs will be published nearly a month sooner than originally planned following the announcement of his death yesterday. The authorized work, written by Walter Isaacson and published by Simon & Schuster, will now become available on October 24.

CNN notes that pre-orders for the autobiography went through the roof in the hours after his passing was made public. The title went from 437 to number 1 on Amazon’s bestseller list, an increase of 43,000 percent based on pre-order status. As of writing, the book is listed as third at Barnes & Noble’s website and number one in iTunes’ books category.

Isaacson wrote the book based on more than 40 interviews with Jobs conducted over the course of two years in addition to first-hand accounts from more than 100 family members, competitors, colleagues and friends. It’s public knowledge that although Jobs cooperated with the writing and interview process, he asked for zero control about what was written nor did he request to read it before publishing.

The writer and biographer is best known as the former managing editor of Time magazine and a former chairman and CEO of CNN. He has authored biographies on the likes of Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin and Henry Kissinger.

Amazon currently offers the book for pre-order for $17.88, marked down from its original $35 sticker price. A Kindle digital version can be had for $16.99.

Permalink to story.

It is a bit oppertunistic, but I don't think its all that terrible. The book already had a scheduled release date, so its not like they are just throwing some crap together to rush it out the door. It has probably been finished for a while now and they were just in no hurry to get it to stores.

I will choose to believe that since the guy just died that people want to know more about him and this biography will help. It would be nice though if part (50%) of the profits went to some charity or charities that Steve Jobs was a part of, since they "opportunistically" brought it forward and to honor his legacy, but that's just me

all of that its ok but....why so many wants the biography?....Smell like sheeps. even the apple "Fans" cant let it go...thats bad

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

"CNN notes that pre-orders for the autobiography went through the roof in the hours after his passing was made public."

Autobiography? It was not written by Steve Jobs, therefore the correct term is simply 'biography'.

It seems a little too soon but hey, take the cash while it's on the table. With that being said, I am not an Apple fan and do not use any of their products but I will read this all the same. Apple fan or not you must admit that the man had a large impact on our world and if the book is written well it would be interesting..

i might look into it, someone earlier today linked me to something called folklore "http://www.folklore.org" which is random stories from apples start-up. and i've been reading them off and on all day. it's all very interesting.

Back