TechSpot

Steve Jobs resigns as Apple's CEO

By Matthew
Aug 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Well, this has spiced up an otherwise slow news day: Steve Jobs has resigned as CEO of Apple. Effective immediately, former COO Tim Cook will oversee Cupertino's day-to-day operations as…

Read the whole story
  2. SkyFall

SkyFall Newcomer, in training

Apple won't be quite the same without him at the helm.
  3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,892   +354

Wow. i was NOT expecting that. It won't ever be the same. However, it is very comforting to know his is chairman of the board.
  4. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

Hopefully Cook doesn't get blamed if things start to go wrong at first...
  5. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,327   +425 Staff Member

Yeah its probably a bad time to take over with iPhone market share on the decline.
  6. Crazy. I wish Steve all the best.

HAHA... my random question was none other than, What company is responsible for creating the iPod?
  7. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,889   +85

In other news, Jesus made an appearance in downtown Atlanta today...
  8. All is lost! What's the point of living anymore???
  9. Jobs was Apple. Apple was Jobs.

Since Steve Jobs will no longer be leading Apple, I think I will show my love for him by never buying another Apple product!
  10. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,493   +292

I'm not sure its all that surprising. Jobs hasn't held the reigns at most of the last Apple announcements and big events. He's been having Cook in the spotlight for a while. Him staying on as Chairman is still good news. When he vacates that position it may be more worrysome for Apple, but provided that doesn't happen in the next year or 2 I think Apple will be ok.
  11. Never really like apple products, but I hope this has nothing to do with declining health.

12. I think it has everything to do with his health.
  13. AmpFeare

AmpFeare Newcomer, in training Posts: 26

steve wozniak should be given this position, not tim cook. considering steve wozniak actually made apple and steve jobs took over for steve wozniak, wozniak is back with apple as far as i know right now. give it to him not cook :/
  14. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Amazing, right here on TS, Steve agrees that Cook has his work cut out for him. Thank you for visiting, Mr. Jobs.
  15. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

Wozniak left the company in the late 80s and has said he has no interest in being a CEO type...
  16. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TechSpot Booster Posts: 352   +38

I actually am not that surprised. He has had cancer, and if you know anyone that's been through that, it really is completely life changing. Technically you are never really "cured" you still have to go back at least every six months to make sure it doesn't come back. I don't really like apple that much, but I kind of feel bad for the guy.
  17. supportme

supportme Newcomer, in training Posts: 36

Can't imagine Apple without Jobs... Sad that he has to leave... A Big Salute to the leader..
  18. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,073   +75

All I wanted for him to do was change his damn turtleneck, but he had to go and resign instead. Touche Mr. Jobs.
  19. Zen

Zen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 938   +43

In my personal opinion, I don't think that showing your love for Steve Jobs by not buying any Apple products is the right way to go. Heck, if everyone felt as you, Apple would soon be declaring bankruptcy.

I'm sure Mr. Jobs wants his soon to be former company to survive and grow and gain "cutting edge" status. Don't stop buying Apple products just because Mr. Jobs has made a choice to step down, much like Mr. Bill Gates did at Microsoft. You don't see the world stopping it's purchases of Microsoft products just because Mr. Gates departed.

Things may appear to be a bit bumpy for Apple during this transition, it's almost always the case, same was true for Microsoft when Mr. Gates stepped down. But in the long run, like Microsoft did, Apple will bounce back, maybe better than ever, who knows!
  20. WinXPert

WinXPert TechSpot Booster Posts: 527

Wishing the best for him and for Apple too. My salute to the Pirates of Silicon Valley.
  21. Go and enjoy life steve , buy a bike and go ride the country side , you have done more than enough for Apple time for some R&R ...
  22. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

Love him or hate, he made a difference, allot more then any of us will ever achieve. Given his health he lasted longer then i expected. Its crazy that he still wants to work, if i were in his position I'd live it up whilst I could, all the best
  23. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

So... when the iPhone 5 breaks due to, of course, we "holding it wrong," do we email tcook@apple.com now?

But seriously though, he will certainly be missed. I might not like Apple, but Steve has always been a visionary, and nothing will change that.
  24. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 342   +20

Who honestly thinks that someone in that position would stay there forever anyway? It's stressful and not to mention him already with his health issues, this is a good thing. Besides, I'm sure he'll still influence Apple in other ways we might not know. Good luck Mr. Jobs
  25. mosu

mosu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 299

I sincerely wish Steve Jobs the best of health he could ever enjoy for the rest of his life.Thank you for the emulation you created in the computer business.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.