Steve Jobs to answer questions in iTunes antitrust suit

Jos

Staff

Apple CEO Steve Jobs has been ordered to answer questions from lawyers for a group of consumers accusing the company of creating a music-download monopoly with its iTunes and iPod tie-up. The case dates back to 2005 and centers around Apple's use of the FairPlay encryption technology, and allegations that an iPod software update in October 2004 specifically made the devices incompatible with songs from RealNetworks' music store -- jus five days after it launched.

FairPlay limited the playing of iTunes songs to iPods and at the same time made it so that songs purchased elsewhere using their own copy-preventing encryption couldn't be played on an iPod. Apple says the software change was a measure against piracy, stopping users from making unauthorized copies of tracks, but plaintiffs contend that it allowed the company to have dual monopolies in the markets for digital media players and audio downloads.

To be fair some of those restrictions may have come -- at least to some degree -- at the request of music companies worried about file sharing. If you recall, Apple was one of the main driving forces behind the abolition of DRM, and users have always been able to copy their own ripped songs from CDs into iTunes and move that music onto their iPods.

According to Bloomberg, the deposition can’t exceed two hours and the only topic allowed is changes Apple made to its software in October 2004. The plaintiffs had hoped to question Jobs, who has been on medical leave from Apple since January, on other related matters such as Apple's decision not to license its FairPlay technology to other companies.

Permalink to story.

This should prove to be a grand social milestone! The IT equivalent of Richard Nixon pronouncing, "I am not a crook"....! :suspiciou

(This is what it looks like when you're caught in a lie as big as that whooper....:mad: :eek: :blush: )....!

Now if you'll excuse me while I go take the batteries out of my hearing aid in preparation for this momentous event.....:rolleyes:

Fortunately just as he was about to be served, Steve Jobs ran to his secret escape pod, and blasted into orbit.

It is true what they say: "Haters gonna hate".

Steve Jobs will answer those questions and nothing else will happen, he is a great speaker and they haven't sold anything that worked different from what they advertised. And as the article says they wanted to distribute music without DRM but Big Music didn't want that kind of deals.

Whatever the outcome will be it will not be near as these embarrassing moments from Microsoft: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db5uI6LAPQc and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKcPx2jD5to&feature=related

It is true what they say: "Haters gonna hate".

Steve Jobs will answer those questions and nothing else will happen, he is a great speaker
I believe that the overarching contemporary English colloquialism for "great speaker" would be "bull s** artist"....!!

And if you're further interested, the difference between "bull sh**ing and outright lying, is taught in contemporary political science courses.

Moving on, sadly the difference between "right and wrong" is no longer found ensconced in the individual American psyche, but rather it resides in the parasitic, useless and condescending institutions we call, the courts, the plaintiffs, the defendants, and their respective lawyers.

Christ, again with the spelling:
:haha:

No doubt to hide out on the i-deathstar2
To wit, "iDeathstar4"

And as the article says they wanted to distribute music without DRM but Big Music didn't want that kind of deals...
Whoops, almost forgot the most important question, "if this is true, how come Amazon sells music all day long with no DRM @ .99 cents a pop....?

@captaincranky Apple no longer sells music with DRM, they stopped a few years ago when Music Labels got up to date with the Internet. Only DRM they sell now is on movie rentals and on the App Store.

@red1776 yep you got me I always troll around on Microsoft articles ;)

@burty117 in 2 weeks it will be 2 years since they only sell music without DRM. They did start selling some music without DRM in 2007 as "iTunes Plus". Amazon was the first online store to sell MP3s without any kind of DRM on 2008. My guess is Apple/iTunes could not start selling music without any protection since they already had multiyear agreements with the labels, also a possibility is that Big Music wanted an alternative online music distributor, not just rely on iTunes, and they were easier on digital rights protection with Amazon.

Steve Jobs did publicly call out the big music labels to allow them to sell music without DRM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itunes_plus#Movement_against_DRM

"Apple was one of the main driving forces behind the abolition of DRM"

More like one of the last to cave in. Amazon tossed DRM long before Apple budged on it.

Back