Steve Jobs tried to replace wireless carriers

By Rick
Nov 16, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Seasoned wireless entrepreneur and venture capitalist John Stanton revealed that Steve Jobs had some big ideas about wireless handsets and how the world should connect through them. Stanton spoke Monday at…

Read the whole story
  2. I think this was one of Steve's best ideas. Carriers are, well, I don't even need to get into that.
  3. That day can't come soon enough...
  4. Ah yes, the day when phone drains your battery in a matter of hours even though you didn't place a single call simply ebcause it was performing service for other people in your vicinity ...And when you can't get help in an emergency because the cariers (who could have provided the access in remote areas) have just went under due to losses sustained in metropolitan areas (where most phone traffic occurs). The joy !!!
  5. fimbles

fimbles TS Evangelist Posts: 1,158   +197

Dont british telecom do something similar to this? BTFON or something, Allows you to connect through other customers wireless devices i think..
  6. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,887   +644

Its not quite the same, sure its WiFi signal but you have to be a BT customer in some way (although all iPhone users get this as default) and of course iPhones can't make a call or send a text over WiFi so its not all that useful :S
  7. some people have no lens for the future..... these are the people who pee on innovative ideas
  8. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 4,573   +65

Indeed. Especially if it happened a few years ago.

It will probably be many years before we have the technology to offset this disadvantage.