TechSpot

Steve Jobs wanted Lytro camera technology for iPhone

By Shawn Knight
Jan 24, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A new book titled “Inside Apple” discusses how former chief Steve Jobs wanted to reinvent photography on the iPhone in addition to television and textbook markets. Jobs reportedly met with…

Read the whole story
  2. Forget about Apple. This tech in the next professional Nikon DSLR would be awesome. It would at least give pro photographers some room to improve focus after the shot without the disadvantages of current post-processing focusing techniques.
  3. p51d007

p51d007 TS Booster Posts: 321   +45

You might be able to "improve" focus, but at least from what I've seen, you can't change depth of field. I played around with their online demo thingy, you can change the focus on foreground, middle & background object, but not the whole picture. Unless you can do that, I don't see this going anywhere other than point & shoot, camera phones etc.
    I'm no pro by any means, but I shoot photos to achieve a certain look. Sometimes I want the entire photo in focus, other times I want the depth of field that only a good lens & camera can get you. This would be a great device inside a pocket camera or cell phone, but now, I just don't see the "professional" or hard core amateur like me wanting something like this, especially given the price point. Price comes down, technology improves, who knows, but I'd pass for now.
  4. Rieksfier

Rieksfier TS Rookie

Because buying out other companies technologies and using them in your own product is totally re-inventing.
  5. mevans336

mevans336 TS Enthusiast Posts: 163   +11

Everyone does it. As long as you (or the company you buy) holds the patents, what's the big deal?

Being able to spot ground-breaking technology and put millions (or sometimes billions) on the line to buy exclusive rights to it, takes as much a talent as engineering the technology yourself. As if often much, much cheaper.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.