Still unable to open Microsoft Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

nik2

Lots of valuable information in that file I'd like to access. I was able to create a new Outlook file in safe mode so I guess the program is OK.

It was suggested to me recently the cause may have been due to me having Microsoft Service Pack 1 at the time. I had not updated to Service Pak 2 (which I now believe has been updated to Service Pak 3). Has anyone had experience with this and, if so, do you think there's a chance that if I update my Service Pak that I might still have a chance of recovering the data I had in my original Outlook file?

I dont think just upgrading to service pack 3 would do any good.

May be you need some more luck there.

Hope you get the help you need

Regards

My Microsoft Outlook file (not Outlook Express) was set up to send/receive messages through one of my ISP’s. I made some minor changes to my Tasks one evening and shut down for the night. When I restarted the computer the next morning I was unable to access Microsoft Outlook at all.

If I right click on Outlook Icon on the toolbar a box opens which asks me to create a new profile with a new profile name. When I hit “cancel” I receive Error Message “No profiles have been created". To create new profile, use the Mail Icon in the Control Panel. When I press OK I receive another Error Message saying “Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition persists.” When I went to the Control Panel and pressed the Mail Icon, there was a box that said “These are the profiles that are set up on this computer.” Inside the box is “empty” showing no profiles at all.

I then did a search and located my Outlook file. I attempted to open it to no avail. It had 44,256KB - Office Data File.

When I attempt to open it I receive this Error Message: Cannot start Microsoft Outlook the command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using.

I decided to try running Outlook in Safe Mode and was able to create another file, Outlook 1, which I am now using. Of course, I still have the problem of opening my original Outlook file with years of data in it.

I just worked on a similar issue for a friend.

First, your PST file is located at
\Documents and Settings\yourLoginName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
so copy it to your desktop for safe keeping.

What version of Office are you running -- it matters!

[edit] Office SP3 is available; you need it, but it is unlikely to fix your issue
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=923618
[/edit]

jobeard, thank you for responding.

OK, I have copied file to my desktop.

I have:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1

Additionally, I have another comment which might be of interest. As I just stated, I copied Outlook to my desktop for safekeeping. I also copied Outlook 1 to my desktop while I was at it. However, when I right click on either of shortcuts in an attempt to open, I receive an error message "The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using". I find this strange as I am currently using Outlook 1 and am able to open it from the Icon on my Task Bar.

jobeard, thank you for responding.

OK, I have copied file to my desktop.

I have:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 1
Thanks, but we need the version of Microsoft OFFICE, not the version of windows.
Open MS Word -- the splash screen will show it. Also available under the Help menu.

However, when I right click on either of shortcuts in an attempt to open, I receive an error message "The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using". I find this strange as I am currently using Outlook 1 and am able to open it from the Icon on my Task Bar.
the registry is fouled

I decided to try running Outlook in Safe Mode and was able to create another file, Outlook 1, which I am now using. Of course, I still have the problem of opening my original Outlook file with years of data in it.

If Outlook will now run in normal boot, you should be able to copy the PST file from the desktop back into
\Documents and Settings\yourLoginName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook​
and it will replace the file that was created using Safe Mode.

Before we try fixing the registry, I would recommend you uninstall and then reinstall
the Office Suite 2000 -- your PST will not be lost or changed

If Outlook will now run in normal boot, you should be able to copy the PST file from the desktop back into
\Documents and Settings\yourLoginName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook​
and it will replace the file that was created using Safe Mode.

Before we try fixing the registry, I would recommend you uninstall and then reinstall
the Office Suite 2000 -- your PST will not be lost or changed
I have been saving data in my Outlook 1since the day I lost access to my original Outlook file. Is there a way in which I can save the data from both files without replacing one with another?

I have another thread on this site asking for recommendations as to external hard drives. I have received no comments. After this experience I am fearful of doing too much of anything until I have performed a backup. lf you have a recommendation, please let me know.

Thank you again in advance for your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back