Stop 0x0000000a Irql_not_less_equal

Status
Not open for further replies.

allegra31707

Multiple people in our organization (20 of 100) are reporting the BSoD STOP 0X0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL. We have run memtest, scannow /sfc, the PSTAT command line process, we've run windows updates and Thinkpad driver updates. Virus scan finds nothing. I do not understand the messages in the event log or the minidump.

These are all IBM T42's
RAM=512MB
1.7GHz Intel Pentium M processor
network card= Intel Pro

Thanks for your help.

Hi allegra31707 :wave: and welcome to Techspot

Due to the multitude of possibilities, please attach
attach.gif
some of the Minidumps to a new reply.

Also are all your computers running the same OS ?
And are all computers connected directly to one Server ? (Being a domain or workgroup)

I am asking these questions, because you have said that multiple computers are having the same fault. Which leads me to think it is a network (Printer; router; ..or other hardware.) issue.

mini dump files

Wow that was quick!

Forgot to mention that they are all running Windows XP SP2

See attached dump files 3 of the 9 that I have. I can send more though.

more dump files

Computers are on a Novell network and authenticate to one of 4 servers upon login. Users experience the blue screen randomly.

More dump files attached.

Yes but analyzing takes a lot more time!

Inside the first 3 MiniDumps:
BugCheck 100000D1, {6f007e, 2, 0, b757988b}
Unable to load image w29n51.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for w29n51.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for w29n51.sys
Probably caused by : w29n51.sys

BugCheck 44, {89f36460, d63, 0, 0}
Probably caused by : afd.sys

BugCheck 100000D1, {0, 2, 0, b7876dd8}
*** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for NDIS.sys -
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for w29n51.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for w29n51.sys
Probably caused by : w29n51.sys

w29n51.sys: Intel® Wireless LAN Driver

Please update the drivers for your Wireless card drivers
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-42683.html

I confirm this driver is very old, so it may be bios related
If you are not using your wireless hardware, try disabling it in CMOS

Please reply back, once trying the above (Driver; Bios; Disable)

Wireless Network Driver

The driver that you linked to is different than what is showing up in our device manager. We are showing the Intel Pro Wireless 2200 BG driver version 9.0.4.37 with a date of 7/25/07. We found a newer driver dated dec 07. Should we install that one instead of the Cisco one that you referred us to?

To correct our previous entry: After researching our driver and driver version we are on the latest version. Do you have any other suggestions for us. What did you mean when you said it might be bios related? Also we are using the wireless driver, so disabling it unfortunately is not an option.

Thank you

Please check your IBM T42's driver support page for any bios firware update

I am actually rattling my head over this one.

I am wondering if it may have been caused by any security update from MS or your system security Antivirus.

Do you carry images for these computers?
ie complete re-install disks

If so, I'm wondering if restoring one computer (that is presently faulty)
And then re-confirming if the fault has gone.

Basically I'm trying to get back to the single computer fix, then apply to all others, once the issue is known.

Is there anything that you are aware of that has changed recently?
A new program, or release of new updated software?

I may need to revisit this thread a bit later too. Sadly
I must step out for a few hours, but I have another 5 or so mins left!

More about my setup

I have tried reimaging multiple machines. It always seems to comeback. With that said my image is constantly being updated with current updates from Lenovo and windows. Could it be that this is a hardware issue? As far recent changes adobe is constantly updating... so is Java. We use Sophos Anti Virus...
I ran the PSTAT command line for this machine and if I am reading it correctly the address points to NDIS.SYS . Here is the file. The error message is as follows

Technical Info
stop: 0x000000D1 (0x00440070, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF744202c)

NDIS.Sys - Address F744202c base at F743e000, Datestamp 41107ec3
Beginng Dump of Physical Memory
Physical Memory of Dump Complete

Attachments

• cleonardexcel.txt
    9.7 KB · Views: 5
More about my setup

I have tried reimaging multiple machines. It always seems to comeback. With that said my image is constantly being updated with current updates from Lenovo and windows. Could it be that this is a hardware issue? As far recent changes adobe is constantly updating... so is Java. We use Sophos Anti Virus...
I ran the PSTAT command line for this machine and if I am reading it correctly the address points to NDIS.SYS . Here is the file. The error message is as follows

Technical Info
stop: 0x000000D1 (0x00440070, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF744202c)

NDIS.Sys - Address F744202c base at F743e000, Datestamp 41107ec3
Beginng Dump of Physical Memory
Physical Memory of Dump Complete

Hooray I'm back !

A virus scan today found Troj/Badsrc -A
So this may be Malware related, usually if you have one infection there may be others as well. In a large network it is difficult to isolate the infection, especially if there is file and data sharing happening.

I've gone back over the original posts and found a lot of information on Server 2003; security updates; network packets; even a small update called afsinst.exe

But the Trojan issue must be addressed first. Otherwise we might be chasing our tail a bit.

From what I gather, if you isolate one computer with a clean image, everything is fine. But once connected back to the network, after some time interval, eventually you start receiving these errors.

Have you run CCleaner and removed all temporary files on all computers?
Temporary files not only take up space, but can also slow networks down, due to the increase in single computer processing of cache and updating logs and eventually replying back with information themselves.
Therefore you first need to clean all computers out of junk files.

Have all computers completed all Windows Security Updates, and are all computers fully protected by virus (are they running their own AntiVirus)
You may need to run a full scan of Antivirus on all computers, ideally at the same time. (only after doing the previous paragraph first)

I needed to this myself once, trying to chase a virus on a large network. I eventually came in on a day when the computers were not required (usually a Sunday) and started all computers scanning in Safe mode (updated first)
I was able to remove one single virus, and all was then ok.
There are a number of free tools to use including SuperAntiSpyware Ad-aware and others (x a lot !) I think this is your first approach.

In simpler terms:
1. Clean (not just the standard Windows clean!)
2. Update (including Antivirus and Window security)
3. Scan (from Safe mode; multiple tools)

Is this possible?
If not. I really am unsure of what steps to take.
How long have you been aware of this issue for anyway?

virus

OK thanks for all of your suggestions. It sounds like you are out of suggestions now.

We ran virus scans on the other computers in question this morning and no viruses were found by Sophos. Sophos also has an enterprise console that is constantly updating the clients and reports viruses via email to our admins (me!).

We started hearing about the blue screen issue about 2 weeks ago but more people report it every day.

Thanks anyway for trying to help us.

the IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL come from two notable conditions:
  1. bad memory
  2. bad code (ie beta stuff)
as the drivers have been updated, I'm left with buffer overrun exploits.

*IF* a buffer overflows, code or control data above that buffer get corrupted.
That memory corruption will impact something, somewhere, sometime.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL. Bad Pool.. all are signs of corruptions.

suggestion:
start to monitor and restrict the websites being accessed.
Start simple, eg yahoo and google.
Then try the MS Support or MS Update pages.

Lastly, try Youtub , MySpace, & Facebook.

IF your system is current for MS Updates, then you should have little exposure
to buffer overflow (at least in theory as MS has spent $10^6 to fix this stuff).

thanks

Thanks for your time. We cannot restrict those popular websites or there will be a major uproar from the natives! We'll try replacing memory I guess.

This is driving us crazy! Our most recent attempt was to put a GOOD hard drive from a machine that NEVER blue-screened in a machine that was frequently blue-screening and put the "blue screen machine's hard drive" in a good machine. The GOOD hard drive with the frequently blue screen-ing laptop blue screened within 12 hours.

ARGH

you need a controlled environment to find the cause.

it is looking more and more like a USAGE issue and not a machine issue.

12hours, hum; are you sure the fan is operating? get a copy of Everest Home
and monitor the temperature.

hardware

We ended up convincing the manufacturer that it is a hardware problem and we're sending a few out for repair. We'll see what they say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back