STOP: 0x0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_or_EQUAL

Bordin

Hi,

I have been having a recurrent BSOD when logging on windows since a few days ago. It started when I tried to run a software, which I downloaded from internet. I suspect it virus, but my McAfee can't seem to find anything. I can only log on Safe Mode. I had run dell diagnostics, that pointed out no memory issues, only showed this message "OS was not found". I have already tried to go back to previously running date, or even go back to the factory configuration, but nothing changed.
My notebook is a Dell Studio 1458, running on Windows 7 Home Premium x64. I have attached the minidump files.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Regards, Bordin

Attachments

• 032011-30591-01.zip
    129.1 KB · Views: 6
There is one Windows driver of note that is cited that pays to look at further: msrpc.sys and belongs to the MicroSoft Remote Procedure Call system file - a *vital* part of the OS. If you have issues with it, double check your HD (check your HD's manufacturer's website for diagnostic tools) to make sure it is not in fact a HD issue.

The fact that your system reports that you can't find the OS is important. If Dell supplies a harddrive diagnostics utility by all means run it.

The fact that you can only run in Safe Mode points to drivers, possibly corrupt registry.

Please post the address for the suspect software you downloaded and I will check it for you.

You can't post the full URL untill you have made five posts so type it into your next post by removing the http and www.

Hi,

I am sorry for my delay on replying. Last night I ran 32 bit Dell diagnostics, which took the whole night, and the following error showed: 0f00 286f--->Optical Drive BST : OPU test failed. It seems I will have to replace my driver. Through the Dell Diagnostics, it ran also a Harddrive diagnosis as well, and no problem on that end was found. Though, I didn't check msrpc.sys, but no problem with that was reported so far.

Anyhow, thanks for all your help.
Regard, Bordin

How does the optical drive show up in Task Manager, any yellow triangle next to it or (right click on it and select properties) under the general tab does it report any problem.

To prove a point, remove the drive from the PC and see if your can now boot up into normal mode without any more BSOD's, if they continue we need to look deeper and please send in more minidumps.

Has use of the drive ever caused a BSOD? Try using it and see if it crashes with both CD's and DVD's, try burning a movie or making a copy of a bunch of files.

I have not come across an optical drive causing a BSOD before, it does not play any part in the operation of the system, no processing is done by it other than reading and writing to discs.

I may be wrong but I doubt that these BSOD's have been caused by your CD drive. Even if the drive is faulty I suspect the cause of the BSOD's is from elsewhere.

Please provide the address of the site and the software you downloaded which you felt you might have got an infection from, as requested in my last post. I can then check to see how much of a risk there was.

Could be a failing optical drive. Some research has indicated that it could be possible motherboard issue but I would say this is the extreme answer at this point.

Yup, I agree, just didn't want to let the OP rush out and buy a new CD drive before proving that it was the problem. Have you ever come across a CD drive that caused BSOD? I suspect it is possible but very rare.

Yes, 0x124 errors. And I didn't suggest it is his issue, I said it could be his issue.

Hello.

Well, I checked Dell website and they pointed as well the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. I am running it as well.

I checked the OP properties, and it showed that is it was running ok. I will buy one CD or something and try to burn some files.

I can't remember where I downloaded the "suspected " file. It was a random thing.

Another thing. The notebook is running extremely slow, and whenever I try to activate my McAfee (the protection is off, for some unknown reason) it goes back to desactivated.

Then you are probably infected as Mark56 suspects. Go to our Virus and Malware Removal forum and read the UPDATED 8 Step sticky.

Follow the advice given in the steps given. Then on that forum post there with the results pasted into your post. To fit all the required information will take two, possibly three posts. That is okay.

Thanks for the help, Route44 and Mark56. I have done the requested. Let's see how it procceds.
Regard, Bordin.

Back