STOP 0x0000008E - Please STOP !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Techspotters,

Just googled in and found a glimmer of hope here!

My XP Home SP2 desktop started rebooting itself over & over. Once I'd figured out how to get to the boot mode menu I got it to stop rebooting and give me the BSOD error code:

STOP 0x0000008E ( 0xC0000005, 0x00000156, 0xF2877824, 0X00000000)

No drivers or files are mentioned - the next line is about the dump.

OK so the 0xC says its a memory access violation, at address 0x00000156 (haven't worked out where this is yet)

Eventlog text quoted a slightly different bugcheck (event 1001)
"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x00000156, 0xf291a824, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini100105-01.dmp."

I've tried:
system restore to before the event & further back
all boot modes available !
memtest-86 for 7 passes (on my single module) with no errors
moving the module to another slot
checking all the hardware is secure & cables are in
msconfig (disabling lots of services/programmes)
BIOS settings (disabling CPU cache, boot order, network service, PME)
Virus / spyware scans (all clean)
tried to run scandisk, but safemode doesn't seem to want me to.
turned off virtual memory

none of this has helped. It still gets to the multiuser log-in screen and lets me select an account, then crashes usually just after showing the desktop, but sometimes I think its going to finish loading the system tray items...but it doesn't!

I (was) running Norton Internet Security 2005 - which isn't enabled in safe mode. When I try and launch it I get a Symantec Integrator error with code 0xC0000005 which was interesting. Wasn't sure if it was the same problem or just a symptom of safe mode.

Anyone got any ideas? I would welcome any wise words!

My next move was going to be to get hold of another RAM module and try that even though the current one passed the test.
I've looked re-installing Norton (but can't in Safe mode)
I couldn't install the windows debugger in dafe mode either so my dump files has not been processed - sorry ! I just uploaded the first 4 of many :(

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    74.6 KB · Views: 34
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

All your minidumps crash at HSFCXTS2.sys. I can find virtually no info about this driver, other than it`s part of Conexant.

Do you have a Conexant HSF PCI modem?

If so uninstall the modem, from your device manager, and take it out of the pci slot, and see if your system still crashes.

If not then I don`t know what your problem may be.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Howard you are THE MAN !

Went and got the RAM earlier today - tried it with no effect. They guy in the shop suggested drivers & removing everything & letting them reinstall again.

Checked the thread before doing anything else & then uninstalled the Conexant modem (which hasn't been used since I got broadband anyway !). I've not removed it from the machine yet, so windows installed a generic driver on startup (a normal straight into windows startup!!!!).

Can't thank you enough & so glad to be back up and running - haven't been out of safe mode since Monday.

Cheers,
Ronnie. :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back