Stop 0x0000009c error in Windows 7 on Sony Vaio

Hi,
I'm having this serious problem on a Sony Vaio Laptop where it keeps crashing if I try to install anything on it.

The laptop belongs to a friend who has messed it up pretty badly it wasn't even booting into windows when he brought it to me.

I was able to get it back on by using the F10 button to start up the Sony Vaio Recovery and one thing I noticed was the blue screen would immediately come up with a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION when it came to installing the default software that came with it.

I was able to surmount this by stopping the default software install. Now it boots into windows 7 just fine, I have been able to also install the basic drivers for the machine that I got from the sony vaio website. However, this is all I have been able to do, the moment I try to install Windows office or even my USB modem, the system crashes all over again.

The Laptop model is VPCEB23FM
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
4GB RAM

I have also attached the .dmp in a zip file.

Any help would be appreciated as this is really driving me crazy

Thanks

Attachments

• DMPZIP.zip
    19.5 KB · Views: 1
A couple of questions first: A) How did he "mess" this laptop up, i.e. what did he do? and B) Is it still under warrenty?

I believe he has been trying to install software that is not compatible with Window 7 onto the system. Also, some friend of his had tried to install a Vista Ultimate OS on it as well, I am not sure if this was correctly done either. He finally brought it around to my place when it would not boot into windows at all. Concerning the warranty, I am not sure if that is applicable since he bought it from the previous owner

Well first, that error code is a difficult one to deal with because it means any piece of hardware in a system could be and can be the cause of the problem -- and I mean any. I know IT guys that don't like working with it. Second, minidumps don't ever give the exact piece of hardware, only that it is hardware.

The way you are describing his issues is that he either corrupted the OS or the harddrive itself is physically damaged. Are you able to remove said harddrive and slave it to your system. If so access it and see if you can wipe it clean and do a harddrive diagnostics.

Does he have the recovery repair disks?

Back