Stop autorun.inf opening in notepad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to make a slide show on a Cd that I could play on any windows computer.
The computer I want it to run on has Win 95a.
I created the slideshow using a program called Xnview.
But I need to create a "autorun.inf" file on the cd for it to work.
here is a copy of the file I created using notepad on a different computer with win XP.

[autorun]
open="Temp Slide Show\XnView\xnview.exe" "Temp Slide Show\For Mum.sld"

Unfortunately everytime I open the file in a computer it always opens in notepad.

How do I stop it opening in notepad so it will run the slideshow?

Install Xnview on your Windows 95a computer (I haven't checked the compatability mind you)
Which will associate sld files with Xnview (and not Windows just selecting Notepad as the unknown file extension, program to open)

Then set your autorun just to "%cdrom%\Temp Slide Show\For Mum.sld"
Note: %cdrom% label be used instead of D drive or E drive (or whatever the drive letter is)

Check the exact file name produced by Notepad - it is a pretty stupid program and probably generated "autorun.inf.txt"

Xnview has to be executable on any computer, so is obviously on the CD is it not? Another idea, I an not entirely certain Win95 always handles long file and directory names: I would recommend simply dumping the whole lot into no directory at all on the CD. Then

[autorun]
open=xnview.exe formum.sld

Usage : xnview [options]

-all : Open a window for each picture
-browser : Launch the browser
-slide <file> : Launch slide show

-full : Start in fullscreen
-fi : Force Fit to Image
-fa : Force Xnview to Fit Image

-ini <file>
-scan
-capture

-clipaste
You can use 'xnview <folder>' to start browser.

Example:
%ProgramFiles%\XnView\xnview.exe -slide <file>

Reference:
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/

Here's an online XnView guide: http://pagesperso-orange.fr/charries/xnv/eng/help-gb.htm
But it's easier just to use the help feature in XnView itself

Do I include the "
Thanks for the links
On the Cd I have E:\Temp Slide Show (contains autorun.inf, For Mum.sld, and the photo files)
Also has E:\Temp Slide Show\XnView (contains the Xnview files Xnview created)

Viewing this using my WinXP computer.

Is it possible to run the the slideshow from the CD without installing Xnview on the computer ?

The quotes are usually required only when there is a break in the shortcut, like c:\My New Folder instead use "c:\My New Folder"

Because yours does not contain any spaces then probably no, you don't need them
I say probably, because I tend to use quotes more often than not, to avoid any issues.

Now CD without XnView installed, don't know! Please read the help file!
Most users just burn picture slide shows using Nero burning rom (and others) which don't require Nero to be installed on the computer they view on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back