Stop Error: 0x0000008E

By Lanaria
Apr 27, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I keep getting the following stop error on a blue screen, this happens at random times when the pc is on.

0x0000008E ( 0xC0000005, 0xBF274E90, 0xAddA7B90, 0x00000000)

We thought it was the ram, since i had just put a new stick of ram into it a few months ago but we traded it out and put the old one back in and i still recieve the same error. Any help would be appreciated i really dont want to start buying new peices of hardware that i dont need.
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,113   +23

0x8E errors are almost always caused by hardware issues (though sometimes by drivers) and particularly is a strong indicator of corrupted memory.

Therefore, run memtest on your memory: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html and get back to us with the results. Keep in mind this takes a long time but well worth it. Allow it to run for a minimum of 7 Passes; there are 8 individual tests per Pass.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.