Stop Error 0x000000D1 Driver IRQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hercules1946

Hello:wave:
For sometime now, my system has been unstable hanging frequently (when running video) and giving Driver IRQL stop errors 0xD1.
I have tried lots of suggestions and advice but no luck. I am just about to try a reformat and then probably buy a new box.
Then I found your web site and wondered if there might be someone who could pinpoint the problem from the minidumps. Ive zipped a few together in the attachment but Ive no idea whats in them as I haven't been able to find a way to open the files.
If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Hercules

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    146.3 KB · Views: 18
What device or software created the dumps... I find nothing, but it would be better if your system could dump in a text file so that more techs could view the results.
In the meantime, tell us about the system model and age, or motherboard, and configuration... video graphics card, audio card, memory, operating system, hard drive, cpu, and such...

The dumps were created automatically at the time of the bluescreen (I thought) by Windows. If there is some way for me to request a text dump when a bluescreen occurs can you explain how to do it. Here are the computer spec details:

Computer Specification

1. Motherboard Model Name - VIA GA-7VRXP
Motherboard Version - Rev 2.0
Bios - American Megatrends 07.00T Date: 05/11/2002
Bios Version F12 Rev 2.20.1020.13

2. Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition
Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack: 3.0
PID: 55277-005-8811064-21807
Hot Fix: Q817287

3. Memory 1048mb

4. Processor
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+ Version: x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 2
Speed: 1741 MHz

5. Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar 16mb cache 7200rpm ATA100
Total Capacity 500GB
Formatted 465GB
Used 43.51GB 03/05/2009

6. Video Card
Model: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
Ram: 128mb
Driver: nv4_mini.sys
Driver Version: 6.14.10.9371
22nd Oct 2006
Supported

7. Sound Card
Manufacturer: C Media
Model: CMI8738/C3DX PCI device
Driver: 5.12.1.644
28 March 2002

8. USB Controller
Manufacturer: VIA Technologies
Model: VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
Driver: usbuhci.sys
29 August 2002
Supported

9. Network Card
Model: Realtek 8169RTL/8110 Family Ethernet NIC
Driver: 5.657.814.2006
14 August 2006
10. DVD Drive
Model: LITE-ON COMBO SOHC 5235k
Driver: cdrom.sys
29 August 2002
Supported

11. Printer
Canon Pixma IP5000
Driver: unidrv.dll
09 July 2002
Supported
Hope that helps

One Other Thing

Looking at the hardware in Device Manager, I have a unknown device listed.
Its an ACPI/WEC519.
I have disabled this device as everytime I start windows it finds the hardware and tries unsuccessfully to install drivers. I don't know if this is part of the problem as I havent been able to get any information about it.

I will have a look at your dump and get back to you in a few hours :)

Sorry I must have missed this over the weekend

Have read all your minidumps and all of them but one cite DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL as being the error code and the issue is nv4_mini.sys. Which is related to your display. The other one cites IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL which is caused by drivers using the improper memory addressing OR your actual memory being faulty

I would recommend a few steps.

1. Update your video drivers, do this by uninstalling your previous ones and then reinstalling with the most up to date version.

-Download the newest driver from NVIDIA and save it to your desktop, download the free program called Driver Sweeper Pro
-Boot into safemode on your machine and uninstall the current drivers
-Run the Driver Sweeper Pro to remove any remaining files
-Boot into normal mode and install the new drivers

2. If this doesn't solve your issue then I would suggest running scans on your actual system memory. As this issue can be caused by invalid memory being address and may not be the driver that's always the problem. Run memtest on your machine, here are the instructions. Leave it running for a minimum of 7 passes, most people leave this running overnight.

3. If you are still having problems then let me know and we can move into testing your actual video card memory.

Stop Errors

Thanks so much for this assistance. It might take me a couple of days to complete everything you have suggested and then I will get back to you (promise).

Stop Errors

Hello Snowchick
Ive removed, swept the Video Drivers and installed the latest ones for my adaptor. This seems to have reduced the stop errors but Im still getting them.
Ive also thoroughly tested the memory (7 passes on each DIMM ) and no errors were reported. The errors Ive had are 0xD1, 0xE1 and also Cx021a.
Also the system keeps freezing particularly when Im playing video (eg youtube)
Is there anything else I can try ? Theres a few more minidumps if that will help. I havent managed to find any way to open them.

Hope you can help.
Herc

Stop Errors

Hello Snowchick
You were suggesting in an earlier post that it was possible to test the video memory. I take it thatyour referring to the graphics card. How do I do that ?

Hello
Is anyone able to help further with this ? I tried to get a substitute graphics card, but the one I bought on Ebay didnt work at all. The problem is that my board has an AGP socket and these cards arent easy to come by. Is there any means to test my existing card as Snowchick (above) was suggesting ?

These AGP cards work... use them all in various machines, but the trick is to get one that works with you VIA board... which could be as low as an AGP 8.
Have you gone to the VIA website to see which range of AGP cards they report will work with that motherboard?
Perhaps you have posted this and I have missed it. See the AGP cards here... were in stock the last time I orded about 7 to 10 days ago.

http://www.directron.com/video---camera.html

Oops sorry Hercules1946,

I have been busy and must have missed this.

You can try raybays suggestion, or to answer your question regarding my post. You can run a memory tool on your video card to rule out memory errors.

Download and run this tool here

Hello Snowchick
Don't apologise -Im very grateful for your help. I downloaded the video tester and ran one pass which took just over an hour. I let it run with the default settings. There were no errors reported, apart from something that wasn't supported so it couldnt do that test. I had to check this on the log, as it blue screened (0xD1) some time after the test ended :eek:((

Is there anything else I can try ?

regards
Herc

Hi hercules1946,

Late reply I know :(. Could you please attach your minidumps so that I can have a look as to what is going on. The error 0xD1 is usually a driver issue, but just need to have an indication as to which one. If its the continuing n4 driver or another one now causing the problem.

I'll be looking out for your next post :)

Minidumps

Hello Snowchick
Im sorry to hear that your ill. Get well soon.
Here are a few dumps. They are coming thick and fast now.

Hercules

I'll be busy over the weekend, but will debug them Monday while at work. Which is Sunday fr you if you live in America :)

Hi Hercules,

Had a look at your dumps, just need a bit more info.

1. What is your pagefile currently set at? You can find this by going:

Start > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Click 'settings' under the Performance Category. Select > Select Advanced > Under the Virtual Memory category, see what your page filing size is.

2. If you are comfortable with getting into your BIOS, select the default settings. This is in case your RAM voltages/timing have been changed as this can cause problems related to this one.

3. Your system may be overheating. Download speedfan and monitor your computer temps, see if it fluctuates when you are doing your usual routine on the machine.

Let me know the info when you get it :)

Stop Errors

Hi Snowchick
The page file is set as managed by windows. Its currently set at 1535MB. I have 1GB of memory installed.
Ive run Speedfan and Ive attached a copy of the readings panel. The readings didnt change a lot. Temp3 went up and down a couple of degrees.
The setting against -12v does fluctuate, going as low (or high) as -3.2v for some periods but mostly staying at -9.65v.
This made me wonder if I may have a problem with the PSU. Im planning to test its voltages.
Let me know what its telling you.

Hercules

1. The temp3 is rather high and temp2 is -55?, but sometimes with speedfan it will not utilize the temp3, and start reading funny things. Is quite common, but just to check that. I'll get you to go into the BIOS and just monitor the hardware, it will tell you what temperatures they are running at You want to be looking at the CPU temperature especially. Leave it for a good 15-20 minutes or so and see what temperature it gets up to. If all looks okay then its probably speedfan playing up. When you go into the computer BIOS you should see a section called 'Hardware' or 'Performance' it does vary on the computer. Have a look, note down the temperatures you don't need to change anything.

Your pagefile is fine for the amount of RAM.

Have a read of this article here (scroll down to 'checking the PSU') about testing your PSU with a multimeter/voltmeter. Its fairly simple and rather easy to diagnose if the PSU needs to be binned.

BIOS Readings

Hi Snowchick
I tested the PSU and the voltages were close to the required levels - generally a bit over apart from - 12v which was reading -11.8V.
I ran the BIOS (Amibios) Hardware Monitor for 20mins or so and Ive summarised the readings below. CPU temp fluctuated between 40C and 42C.
I also inspected the capacitors on the board, and they dont show any leakage or noticeable swelling although one near the CPU wasnt upright (leaning at about 75') eg 15' from upright.

Readings
CPU Temp 40-42C
System Temp 40C
CPU Fan 5000RPM
System Fan 2265RPM
VCore 1.696V
Vtt 1.216V
+ 3.300V 3.216V
+ 5.000V 4.865V
+12.000V 11.776V
5VSB 4.972V

I dont know about you, but Im running out of ideas. I tried to send this reply on the ailing machine, and it blue screened me again 0xD1.
The only reasons Im still trying is my wifes got a family tree on it with 5000 entries and it wont work on our new vista machine. Ive also spent abit on replacement parts (CPU and hard drive)

Hm, it is an interesting one indeed. I wouldn't rule out the PSU totally at this point, they should be fairly bang on when it comes to voltages, but it would be a bit of a long shot to say its the cause of all this (only had one computer where this actually was the problem).

Just moving in a different direction towards software (your CPU readings are rather normal). Have you run any malware scans at all?

If not, then give the 8 steps a go and see what that pulls up. I may be missing something here, so I'll get a friend to have a lookie over this and see if he can suggest anything else

Stop Errors

Hello SnowChick
I tried to follow your malware instructions, but I was unable to run a full system
scan using my Norton Security 2009. After a short period the computer froze up
and wouldnt continue.
I contacted Norton technical support and they tried to remotely reinstall NIS 2009
but the computer froze again, and even gave a blue screen while trying to
install in safe mode.
At this point their technical support gave up, telling me that there must be a
problem with the system files and I would need to reinstall Windows.
I already tried reinstalling Windows from my CD and after its loaded all the
initial files, you get an option to repair or do a new install. At this point it
freezes and you cant go any further.

I dont know about you but I think Im flogging a dead horse. I think that there must
be some hardware damage on the mainboard or something like that. I wanted to try
and pinpoint the problem and rebuild the system to get some use out of the good
components, and carry on using some of the stuff that doesn't work on my new
Vista 64 box.

This seems like a waste of time now. What do you think?

Hercules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back