Stop error - blue screen

I've been trolling through this website and many others to find the exact nature of my problem but I haven't come across any. From what I gather my problem can fall under many many different hardware/software problems but I am just going to go ahead and ask your advice anyway.

When I blue screen I get the following message

STOP: 0x0000009C (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFF880026D4B30, 0x00000000B6200000, 0x000000000002010A)

Now I have consulted with family members who are more switched on when it comes to the finer details of computing and they suggest that it is faulty RAM. Which I am inclined to believe as the blue screen occurs when I am running RAM intensive applications (Java based game (Minecraft)), it usually happens around the 65% mark. I've also taken Google's own advice of updating all system drivers. Everything is up to date.

Looking forward to your take on this.

Bucky

0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either this error code or the one that replaced it 0x124 for Vista and Windows 7 give a definitive answer. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any.

So testing the RAM is a good first step. Do you know how to run Memtest? If so make sure you run it for no less than 7 Passes and the more beyond 7 the better.

Oops! T beat me to it!

Hi,

The blue screen error in Windows 7 can occur due to the issues in the memory.

Windows 7 includes tools that can help identify and fix certain hardware and memory related errors. Y

You can see the error checking option in the Tools menu. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation and then click the ‘Check Now’ option.

You can activate ‘Automatic Fix’ to solve issues automatically.

If insufficient memory is the reason behind blue screen errors, then you need to upgrade system memory.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/4ee33675-23d9-4941-8ad5-b147955fbc18/

Hope this information helps you.

Back