Stop error message, blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

wee1man

Ive just purchased a brand new computer , as in my profile, when i try to install windows xp pro it comes up with a stop screen error on a blue screen , the hdd is brand new , the motherboard is brand new , the graphics card is brand new, it says a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer,
if this is the first time youve seen this stop error restart your computer , which i have more than once ,
and onto
technical information ,
STOP 0x0000007E (oxc0000005 , 0xF748E0BF , 0xF78DA208,oxF78D9F08)
pci.sys - address F748E0BF base at F7487000, Date stamp 3b7d855c
any help would be appreciated , It has never had a os on it ever the screen comes up after it says loading files and windows will now restart then this blue screen appears. i have also tried installing ubuntu 7.10 with no success , is it hardware or software related ?

Hey wee1man

BSOD's are usually hardware related, either RAM or Motherboard. Another common problem is driver incompatibility - usually caused by old drivers. The first thing to check would be your RAM. If you have more than one RAM chip, remove all but one chip and start your computer. Repeat this process until you have tested all the chips SEPARATELY. Alternatively, you could go to www.memtest.org and burn Memtest onto a CD and check your RAM for errors (takes quite a long time to finish scanning so do be patient).

Spyder_1386 :)

Not unusual to have a failed memory module on a new machine... and 70% of BSOD's are memory issues. Video Graphcs is second. Good to remove the possibility by Spyder_386 recommendation.
It can also be a cable issue, so remove and re-seat every cable.
Since it is new, it likely was shipped a long distance. Things shake loose under shipment, so it is worthwhile to remove and reseat all components.
Do not do anything that might affect your warranty, and the above pretty much limit you. So if none of the above work, return it to seller for service.

thanks guys , ive contacted the sellers and theyve told me it possibly is the windows pro disc SP1 i am using so ill be trying a windows pro SP2 this afternoon, thanks for the advice guys , i also failed to mention it has a memory card reader installed which was part of the problem, cheers guys and ill try the mem test though ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back