Stop error on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

risingTide

Greetings,

Over the last few weeks I was getting some random stop errors at various times. They became more frequent and now I cannot even start windows without a stop error. I had begun troubleshooting using the sticky posts before I was unable to boot and both my sticks of RAM passed MemTest. I haven't added any new hardware recently either.

I'm stuck because I also get the stop error in Safe Mode which I have never had happen before. However, now that it crashes on boot it always gives the same error:

0x000000D0: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_MMPOOL

I looked here but there is no details about this error. It obviously seems like a driver error, but I don't know what to do from here.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,
bryan

Boot from an UBCD4Win CD or Flash drive, and run the hard drive diagnostics from there...

Flash drive creation for UBCD4Win:
Flash Drive Boot

Of course you will have to create this on a working computer. I have several UBCD4Win CD's but only 1 loaded on a 4GB Flash Drive... Good Luck :)

Well, I've installed UBCD4Win...and I was hoping to make a CD of it...however my version of windows is the original (not even SP1). I also have a CD of SP2 however, but that doesn't seem to contain the full version of windows. Is there same way I can make this work between these two XP CDs?

Hmm. Well, I got my hands on a XP SP1 CD and successfully made a UBCD4Win CD (I didn't have a big enough flash drive). I tested the CD on my other working computer and it works great. However, I can't get my broken PC to recognize it. I even set both active bootable devices in the BIOS to be CDROM but it didn't work. The only think of is that it is thinking a different drive is the CDROM drive and isn't trying to read the CD. Any thoughts? I feel like I'm so close to at least getting some better answers!

Open the computer's case and physically connect only one optical drive. See if the computer will boot from it then

I disconnected the DVD. Also, My BIOS has 4 options for bootable devices...1st through 4th. I disabled the 2nd through 4th and set the first to CDROM.

However, it still didn't work. I get this same message:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Connect the DVD and make sure the bios boot is set CDROM at first device. Make sure that the DVD drive is detected in the bios. Are these IDE opticals or SATA?

I reconnected the DVD. There is no place in the actual BIOS that shows that either my CDROM or DVD are connected (I know that is weird but this is an old BIOS). However, when booting...before the OS loads there is a brief pause where both the CD and DVD drives light up for a second and there is a blurb that shows the following which proves they are both connected:

D0 - TDK DVDROM
D1 - None
D2 - TDK CD-RW
D3 - None

And they are both IDE.

Old bios might not support booting from a CD drive. You could take the hard drive out and install it in your working computer that boots the UBCD

Well, while I'm trying to figure out how to get the UBCD4Win to work I found a floppy I have with SeaTools for DOS on it. This is Seagate's HD Diagnositc tools (which also works with Maxtor drives which is what I'm dealing with).

So it has a long test and a short test. It passed the short test just fine. I'm running the long test now and will post back with the results.

In the meantime, the drive temperature is fluctuating between 82 and 87 degrees. Is this too high? And if so how can I cool it down? I have 2 case fans already (along with 3 mobo fans).

Many thanks.

My drive also passed the long test without any problems.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try next? Is there any other UBCD4Win type tools that I can use to access the HD since I can't boot? What's my next step?

Thanks.

I was able to access the problematic drive (finally) using UBCD4Win. I have used these tools:

I ran MemTest on it for 13 passes with no errors.
I ran checkdisk /r with no errors.
I ran Emsa DiskCheck with only one error:

Invalid procedure call or argument D:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Google Desktop\9e760d23f3b5\dbeam

I ran HD Tune with the following results:

Benchmark
---------
HD Tune: MAXTOR 6L080J4 Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 15.6 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 18.3 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 17.6 MB/sec
Access Time : 13.4 ms
Burst Rate : 13.9 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 80.3%

Error Scan
----------
HD Tune: MAXTOR 6L080J4 Error Scan

Scanned data : 76314 MB
Damaged Blocks : 0.0 %
Elapsed Time : 95:53

I ran Western Digital's WinDlg which passed both the short and extended tests.

So, besides the one error above for Emsa DiskCheck I have pretty much ruled out the BSODs being a memory or hard drive issue. This makes sense because the particular errors I am getting look like driver issues.

I receive this error when I try to boot in safe mode:

0x000000D0: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_MMPOOL

and this one when I try to boot regularly:

0x000000C5: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

Should I pursue the Emsa Disk Check error above or try something else? And if so, what? I do now have access to the drive with UBCD4Win.

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back