Stop Error With Usb Network Adapter

By smu122
Apr 5, 2008
  1. I recently installed a USB G Network Adapter Linksys. It has been working perfectly fine, as I just needed to update the drivers to Vista. A couple of weeks later, I started to receive this blue screen error upon restart,shutdown, sleep, ect.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Driver IRQL Not Less or Not Equal.

"Stop: 0X000000BE
    rt2500usb.sys-Address BBD4AB44 base at BBD31000, Date5tamp 41de50d7"

I deduced that the problem was this adapter. I uninstalled all drivers and I removed the usb. The pc booted perfectly fine. Whenever I install the device, I receive this error.

How may i fix this problem? Thankyou all :D

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Chip type: GeForce 8800 GT
    HardDrive: 320GB

The link link590o gave in the sticky unfortunately didn't help me.
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Attached Files:

3. smu122

smu122 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

Thankyou very much for assisting me kimsland, however, i have been encountering problems when following the directions supplied. When I try to copy and replace the files to the windows folder, it states that I do not have permission. I turned off user account control and i still receive the error.

I also am having problems with step 3. "Right click on the WUSB54GS.inf file in your downloaded folder and select install."

When i do this i reveive a message that states. "The INF file you selected does not support this method of installation."

Thanks for all the help.
  4. kimsland

You may need to Take Ownership of your Windows folder and grant yourself Full Control privileges

See these two links:

This workaround (ie alternative) is just a suggestion (that I hoped would work)

After getting the permissions sorted, and the file copied over.
    Try the right click install again.
    Whatever the outcome, then try re-inserting the adaptor.

If it's all a no go, then that's that I suppose. It'a all I could find on the subject.

Also please let me know how it goes (it might still work :) )
  5. smu122

smu122 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

I uninstalled all the drivers and registry for the usb adapter, and then reinstalled them incuding the one you provided. So far so good. I boot and reboot without any problems. Thankyou very much for you help, kimsland! :approve:
  6. kimsland

Thanks for the update
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.