Stop laptop from changing screen brightness when plugging in

hellokitty[hk]

Hello everyone,
I'd like to know how (if possible) to make it so that my laptop does not automatically change screen brightness when plugging in or unplugging.

You see, there is a brightness setting that is saved for plugged in and unplugged, and when you change between plugged in and unplugged it reverts the screen brightness to that saved level.

For example if you have it unplugged and you set the screen brightness to 100% then plug it in, it saves the unplugged screen brightness to 100%. Now when you're plugged in you change it to minimal brightness. Later when you unplug and leave the screen brightness will revert back to 100%.

I'd like to disable this automatic screen brightness change.
Thanks for reading.

Which OS are you on? Say you were on Windows 7 there is a setting to change the brightness, but some laptops don't work with these settings.

I'm on windows 7 and my laptop is a Vizio CT14
Let me clarify:
The Windows 7 has a power profile for when it's plugged in and when it's unplugged, and these profiles store the brightness setting as well. Now the problem is that when you plug in the laptop or unplug it Windows automatically changes the profile and thus the brightness might also change as well to whatever is recorded in the profile and I don't really want that.

Change the power profile to high performance and then go in and manually change those specific settings.

I don't think you quite understood the problem.
I don't want it to automatically use the brightness settings.
You see, when you have a brightness setting set, it will automatically switch to that whenever you plug in or unplug the laptop and I don't want it to do that.

Hmmm, maybe I'm not understanding it correctly. You want it to stay consistent no matter it's state plugged or unplugged right? So, wouldn't you just set up the profiles to match? That way, the brightness does not change. I don't think you can disable the feature entirely.

Edit: Re-worded didn't make sense initially ._.

No I want it to not change brightness when I unplug or plug in.
Say for example you were plugged in with brightness set to 50%, then you unplug and set your brightness to full. Later you come back and plug it in, and the brightness will change from 100% back to 50% because it was saved as 50% on the plugged in profile.
Of course setting them to the same brightness and not changing the brightness would solve the problem, but I'd like to be free to change the brightness.
I don't think you can turn it off either :(

Of course setting them to the same brightness and not changing the brightness would solve the problem, but I'd like to be free to change the brightness.
This was pretty much what I was trying to say. Sorry if I didn't make sense lol.

Anyways: It's probably just because it's battery powered. As tipstir said, laptops don't usually have that feature.

What the power setting set too? By default it's balanced. Did you change the default settings of how the power is saved.

Battery only
Battery Charging when connected to AC

These two how do you have the system setup.

Can you explain?

I use the full power of the laptop. Brightness on LED/LCD is set to mid way. When your on battery that can be set to dim to save on the power. By default the BIOS settings might have to be changed so you can have the laptop handle power differently. Sounds like Windows and your system is having a battle when you want the brightness. You should be able to on into the settings deeper and change the defaults, but be careful when you do that. BIOS for power saver management is set to default.

If you use high power as suggested above you can have full bright screen. If you want to dim the screen when your on battery you have to make sure you allow these settings to be set. If you need a third-party app to regulate this, might have to consider that?

Uhm... I get the feeling that you don't exactly understand what I was trying to say...
So I can change the brightness settings just fine. I change it depending on the ambient light so that if it's dark I leave it low and if it's bright I turn it high, there is no problem with this plugged in or unplugged.

The problem comes from the fact that Windows saves your brightness settings as you have both mentioned, this is changeable through the display settings I know.

So now say I was outside and I had my brightness turned to high while it is plugged in. Windows saves that setting so that the plugged in brightness is set to high.
Now then unplug my laptop and move to a dark room, and subsequently turn down my brightness to low. After some time, I am almost out of batteries and need to plug in my laptop. This is where the problem comes in. Since I had my brightness on high earlier when my laptop was plugged in, that is the brightness saved under the plugged in profile. Now when I am in that dark room and plug in my laptop, it defaults to high brightness and I find that a minor annoyance.

So you see the problem is that Windows 7 automatically changes from plugged in to unplugged profiles whenever you plug in/unplug. The thing is that I have my brightness settings changing constantly so usually they don't line up and whenever I plug in/unplug, it jumps brightness on me.

Hope that made sense. Maybe you both already understood that but to me it didn't sound like it to me though.

I get what you're saying. I just don't think its possible on Laptops. Maybe try some 3rd party software to regulate it? Something that will bypass OS setting and allow you to adjust it freely no matter it's power state (Plugged or Unplugged).

Edit: I found a program called IBrightness 1.0 Maybe it is something you want to look into. It doesn't it bypasses windows power saving features. However, I'm sure it's worth a try.

Exactly limitations on these laptops. That's what I was saying when I first posted on this thread. Some laptops just don't have certain features to work with the brightness. Some don't even work with these features. Hardware related.

Back