Stragglers: Windows 7 SP1 is only a minor update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft has shared a few details about the first service packs for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, and they seem to be a relatively minor affair. According to a company spokesman, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 will mostly contain "minor updates," along with the usual inclusion of previous patches and hotfixes.

Among the handful of new features is an updated Remote Desktop client that takes advantage of RemoteFX, a new remote access platform set to launch with Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Another new addition to Server 2008 R2 is called "Dynamic Memory," which allows virtual machine memory to be configured on the fly.

Given the limited scope of SP1, Microsoft suggests that customers upgrade to the latest version of Windows sooner, rather than later. Redmond says Windows 7 is ready for commercial deployments now, and many organizations are jumping aboard. A recent survey of over 900 IT administrators showed that 46% wouldn't wait for SP1.

Redmond hasn't released an official timeframe for the forthcoming service packs, but they'll be delivered through Windows Update once available. Many speculate that SP1 will arrive in time for Christmas, and if Vista's SP1 launch pattern is any indication, it will land sometime in late November 2010.

Permalink to story.

i don't know about you guys but i'm using 64bit win7 & running latest updates. However i sometimes get this lock up or system shutdown freeze where i have to reset my pc to restart windows. Anyone else face this problem?

I thought the point of a service pack is to get all the major bug fixes/updates done quickly........kind of takes the importance out if its just minor updates.

I dont think it needs a SP yet anyway.

ain77 said:
i don't know about you guys but i'm using 64bit win7 & running latest updates. However i sometimes get this lock up or system shutdown freeze where i have to reset my pc to restart windows. Anyone else face this problem?

I usually put mine to sleep, but there have been one or two instances when I'm shutting down that it doesn't fully do it and hangs for about 15 minutes. But it happens so seldom I really haven't bothered investigating it further.

boyese said:
I thought the point of a service pack is to get all the major bug fixes/updates done quickly........kind of takes the importance out if its just minor updates.

I dont think it needs a SP yet anyway.

I really doesn't but there are some shops out there that ignorantly will not touch Win7 till SP1 so MS is giving them an SP1

i wonder if the SP1 will have the patch this is going to stop hackers from useing the OS, i heard something about the updates that going to be doning that. Wondering if SP1 will have thoes patches or not?

It'll be interesting to see Win7's adoption rate among businesses come end of the year after SP1 is out and see if those predictions of this being the most successful OS ever come true. In the mean time I need to get my family and self upgraded to Win7 >.> .

Installing win7 on business based computers more than likely will reduce productivity mainly because it'll take time for people to adjust and Win 7 gives people more options to procrastinate

I wish they would fix the stupid irritating problems with it. It's irritating when you get an error and have to type it into your browser. Every program should have the ability to copy/paste.

Well this could be a good thing, it could be there was not much to fix as it has been a very successful launch so far. I think this is a good thing.

that is quite minor, just shows you how stable Windows 7 is. But I was looking forward to something major maybe some GUI changes and/or improvement of security and compatibility with 64-bit driverments%vements, but its doing quite well take your time M$.

ain77 said:
How old is your computer and what are the specs? It might have something to do with it, since some of the problems might be due to hardware compatibility.

I have no issues with Windows 7, but hey I won't say a bad word against MS updating it no matter how minor the updates may be.

Windows 7 is SP3 for Vista how many other windows OS's have they had that had more than 3 SPs?

I'm running Windows 7, was wondering how long it'd be.
Not a major deal I guess, shame, I kind of look forward to a big update.

what can do those didnt having the internet connection?If it is released as a patch file evey one can install it......

As I said a while before, what is there to update? Seriously.
I've had no problems with 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, expect for when I click the start menu no icons appear after using it I can only see stuff if I search. But that can be fixed in a small update.

Guest said:
Windows 7 is SP3 for Vista how many other windows OS's have they had that had more than 3 SPs?

Win2k comes to mind as it had 4 SP's and is in its last year of support. Got some fond memories of Win2k :D , still have it on an old machine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back