Strange activity when I log onto the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousguy44

On my XP machine, using ZoneAlarm, I dialed onto the 'Net. As soon as I logged on, without even launching any applications, I started receiving lots of bytes. Ultimately, I rec'd about 300K. Can anyone give me a clue as to how to figure out what's going on?

I'm a reasonably sophisticated user. I checked to see what processes or programs were running at the time, and the only ones I could find all looked to be OK--standard programs and processes started up at launch. As a matter of fact, some weeks ago I went through the processes launched at startup and disabled most of them. And I don't see any of the classic spyware/adware/malware/scumware programs listed anywhere on my machine.

So where are these 300K bytes coming from? Is this related somehow to XP checking automatically for updates etc?

you shouldnt think these 300 kbytes as a problem.Maybe ur XP Update Service or Firewall Service looking for an update or sth else.

I checked all processes running (with a 3-finger salute) and none look bad. And I do have ZoneAlarm running. And earlier I manually scanned all the folders for anything that was obviously nasty-looking and found nothing. And ZoneAlarm appears to be properly blocking unauthorized traffic in and out of the machine.

I suspect strongly that this might be that accursed automatic update, or related to it. That explanation offers the most sense.

If that happens at every boot, switch Windoze Automatic Updates OFF, just make sure you do it manually at least once a week.

It was in fact auto update

I decided to log on & let it rip, so I did it last nite, and it turned out to be SP2, which had never been applied to this machine. I halted most of the processes launched at startup, but left this one running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back