Strange Burner stuff

By superbeen
Jan 13, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok this has me completely baffled.... i ust wiped my computer about 3 months ago... i have XP pro. everything was working fine, i burnt several cd's on my lite-on 24x and 10+ dvds on my tdk. then about two weeks ago, i started having buffer problems, it goes to about 20 then drops to 0 and stops burning for a second or two. it takes 9 friggin minutes to burn a cd! the same happens for a dvd. they are both on their own IDE channels, my hdds are on the RAID channels. i updated ide drivers and everything, but no help. i heard that using dma helps, but i never did before, and i dont think its compatible if you use RAID... i tried everything to get dma working, added the reg dwords and all... any suggestions?
  2. Masque

    Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,212

    Are you caching to the hard drive during the burn? Possibly creating the image first? Should take the buffer issue out of it "unless" you've got some bad cd-r's. That's something I've seen in the past.
  3. superbeen

    superbeen Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

    images do the same thing, i already try that, im not sure where its caching to, and i only use TDK media
  4. RealBlackStuff

    RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

    Do you have any power-saving settings, like putting your HD to "sleep" after 5 minutes? (check your BIOS as well for similar settings).
  5. Masque

    Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,212

    You know, I just remembered having that same prob with my Lite-on 52x when I first got it. Have you by chance gone to there site to see if there's any firmware updates available? Once I flashed my drive it's been flawless.

    Just a thought.
  6. dunnboy78

    dunnboy78 Newcomer, in training

    Hi, I have the exact same problem with my burner.

    I formatted my computer and put a new mobo in and a DVD writer in my system. Since then my LITE ON CDRW takes about 9 mins to burn a cd too.

    Cant understand why this is so. It used to work outstandingly every time.

    If you find a solution or any other ideas please let me know and i will do the same for you.

    Thanks
  7. dunnboy78

    dunnboy78 Newcomer, in training

  8. superbeen

    superbeen Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

    i have also updated all my firmware, both my burners, but that didnt help at all. i have never used power save setting, even in bios. ill keep testing, if i find anything out, ill post it
  9. StormBringer

    StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

    Might check the burner app settings, have you updated the version recently? Something could have changed in an update, or the update may have enabled something you had disabled in the past.
  10. superbeen

    superbeen Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

    i only upgraded nero once the problem started, i think i may have selected a sour option, but then i did try roxio too, but same results on both drives
  11. RealBlackStuff

    RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

    Never have Nero and Roxio on the same PC, they don't like one another. There is an easy-option within Nero (don't remember its name), try that after you have eradicated Roxio. Also look for the latest Nero cdrom.cfg
  12. superbeen

    superbeen Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

    alright, i did fix my Lite-on, the reg key needed to be set to '0' and not '1' oops. it now has dma mode 2 working and runs sweetly. however the same process did not fix my tdk. Does anyone have information about the reg key titled "MasterDeviceTimingMode" and "MasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed"? these values appear to be EXTREMELY low, esp in comparison to my lite on... just a thought
  13. RealBlackStuff

    RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

    I have a LiteOn LTD163-D DVD-drive as master on my secondary IDE.
    It has MasterDeviceTimingMode = (8208) and MDTMAllowed = (4294967295). Both values are decimal.

    I have a Plextor SCSII CDRW, which does not have any comparable settings.

    HTH
     
  14. superbeen

    superbeen Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

    alright, i got it all straightned out. appearantly, the morons at microsoft thought it would be a good idea to permanentally disable DMA should any errors occur. completely reinstalling the ide bus master and both chanels reset it and allowed me to use dma mode 2. the reg keys also have to do with dma, by setting different vaslues for MasterDeviceTimingMode, i was able to make it think it was using different modes- 2010 being mode 2, 16 pio, and ffffffff mode 5; although im pretty sure it wasnt using those modes even tho it said it was. thanks for your help, guys. i apperciate it. keep up the good work
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.


Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...


Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.