Strange Connector on Alienware Aurora Door

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidflynn12

Recently Swapped out my old enermax PSU for a new one. Plugged everything back in. I inadvertenly disconnected a a twin wire two prong cable which connects to the hinge of the front door of the Tower. It is tied into the other connectors for the system pannel(20 pin) connector on the motherboard. However i do not know where it plugs in?

I would not normally care but the PC will not power up with the new PSU. All i am getting is the standby power LED on the motherboard to light up. I have connected the two fans to the same cables as the EZ_plug( which i just use a ordinary four prong connector). The DVD and CD-R drives use the same power cable. The HDD i have using a SATA power connector. Finally the floppy drive just uses a standard connector with nothing else on the other 12v connectors. The motherboard uses a ATX connector, EZ_plug and 24 pin connector.

I just realised i connedted the PSU up incorrectly. I used an EZ_plug with the ATX connection which i should not do with a Geforce 7800 GT on Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe(ez-plug should only be used with two cards?). I also forgot to connect the six prong connector on the video card. Would this earlier omission on my part have damaged the mobo? I rectified and still no change?

That 2-pin plug is probably 5 volts gonig to LEDs in the door. Carefully go over the motherboards manual and recheck all the power supply connections to it. If all else fails, take the system down to the bare minimum, no sound card, no video card and only one memory stick and see if it powers up. Try resetting the CMOS while you are at it

The connector is for LED which can be installed in the door. I twisted ALienware's arm to answer this. On rechecking my system connection panel, i discovered my pwr switch connect was wrongly connected into the wrong slot(my fault)!I installed a new hard drive as well and my system now appears fixed and stable. I am hoping the inital problems with with system resets, usb connections and damaged file segments on HDD were to do with either the PSU or HDD. I hope the mobo is unaffected( i hope so the warranty ends in january). Any suggestions to ascertain if i need to check anything else would be helpful?

You should be good to go... You can chalk this up to a good learning experience. Enjoy the system, hopefully for many years

just for a note, if u do not plug the video card to power u will get no video, but it will damage nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back