Strange DNS problem

By tgsssl
Dec 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. At a basic level the problem is that [from a laptop] I can perform an nslookup on an IP and on the coorosponding hostname and receive responses. I can also ping by IP and receive a response but if I ping by hostname or FQDN I receive an error stating "could not find host". If I run an "ipconfig /flushdns" "ipconfig /registerdns" it resolves the issue for a period of time but then it returns.

I am running a Windows 2008 R2 domain with integrated DNS connected to a SonicWALL firewall. The firewall is providing DHCP services and issuing IPs to the wireless devices that are having the problem. While the problem is happening, I can look at the DNS server and see the A and PR records for both the laptop I am using and the server I am trying to connect to. The problem is occuring on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines. THe problem has only presented itself within the last two months.
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,286   +281

Are you attempting to ping a PC name on the LAN or an FQDN of some non-local domain.name?
    hmm; DHCP from an independent device while you have a local DNS service??? Not a good idea.
    Your DHCP & DNS services should be coordinated (your DHCP hands out the address of your DNS). For non-local dns queries then your service performs a recursive lookup to a PUBLIC DNS server, eg your ISP's.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.