TechSpot

Strange download in 8 step guide

By Ididmyc600
Jan 1, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. when downloading malwarebytes program, it wants me to download a PHP file.?

something screwey or is that the file i need ?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,251

cheers mate will do, might be coz im still running IE6, not liking IE7 enough yet to download it.

Also the avast proggy links to a a vpsupd.exe this is an update i believe as it wont let me run it.

its ok i found the page for the free version http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Incredible! I wonder how long this has been this way :confused:

Thanks for letting me know, I'll inform Julio, as I cannot update the link to http://www.techspot.com/downloads/223-avast-home-edition.html (I can only edit forum posts and threads)

Also, maybe when Internet Explorer officially goes version 8 you should update
    Really, for your security, it's best to do all Windows updates all the time, if running Windows. ie It's not just Internet Explorer that updates.
  5. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,525   +313

Thanks for bringing up this to our attention. The Avast download entry received its last update in mid-December when I imagine the incorrect link was posted. It's now been corrected.

As for the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware download link, because we host that locally we use an anti-leeching script that may not be too friendly to legacy browsers. I will add a secondary mirror using the developer's server to avoid issues with users that are still relying on older browsers.
  6. Ididmyc600

Always happy to point out things that dont work, especially in something like the virus section.

Im rethinking my IE situation and may go for IE7 after all, is it possible to still have the IE6 type page with the updates of IE7 on it ?
  7. Julio Franco

You should upgrade to a browser that doesn't crash or slowdowns constantly, seriously.

Make your pick: Firefox or Opera both work wonderfully compared to IE.
  8. Ididmyc600

Thats the thing Julio, IE6 has never crashed , never misbehaved and is as far as i know a very reliable browser, i understand that IE7 and FF and OP are less prone to passing infections etc but i really only go here, a forum that i MOD and my works mail page.

Am i seriously risking anything by not upgrading or using one of alternatives.

Or is MS and FF just trying to frighten us into using the latest browser update just to improve their figures ?
  9. Julio Franco

Well, I can tell you IE6 is not fully compatible with this very site :(
    Or at least a few horrible workarounds were needed to make it almost seamless.

That's basically where I'm coming from since I'm assuming you won't get easily infected as you know what you are doing.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.