TechSpot

Strange fonts in IE9 on TechSpot.com

By yukka
May 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I do not have this problem with Firefox 10 but the fonts on Techspot.com are very strange in ie9 for me. I have seen it on another ie9 in my organisation and they don't have the same problem so its maybe just me. And maybe this needs to be moved into a different forum because its not specific to this site but there are clever people here and they might have an idea how I can fix it. Note the crosses under the first letter of the final word in each title and the annoying little tails the little "a"s all have. Any ideas guys?

Attached Files:

2. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

Can you please review the image you uploaded.
    There is allot more wrong than just the crossings of a few letters?

3. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 727   +30

Tell me about it. Here is a dual monitor pic of chrome on the left and ie9 on the right.

Attached Files:

4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

Neither one of them look good to me.

5. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

Well to me it looks very bad in both browsers.
    Take a look at this thread, it has some tips for testing to disable different cleartype features in Windows.
    Or instead you could try installing the latest drivers for your graphics card, because this looks like a cleartype rendering bug to me

http://www.overclock.net/t/966023/internet-explorer-9-font-problem

6. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,565   +331

Here's an idea... check if you have the Helvetica font installed and if it's working properly. If not, delete it so the site will default back to Arial which is more Windows-native.

On TechSpot we are currently picking our default font in this order: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif.

7. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 727   +30

Ok it was Helvetica. I uninstalled all the variants from my windows/fonts folder but it didn't help. I reinstalled it again (it said it was already installed and asked if I wanted to replace it which was strange) but after trying a couple of variants its back to looking normal again.

Thanks Julio, it was driving me nuts!

8. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,565   +331

I'm glad to hear it's a resolved matter now.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.