Strange Freeze/Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clinkzehffs

Hello, I was using my computer today and playing WoW at the same time, suddenly the pc crashed as it never did before and the monitor went to the state where it is when my computer is closed, yet the computer was still running (green light up), I restarted computer like 2,3 times and this happened constantly even without WoW running, I booted from another HDD, it didnt happen for some time, then I opened a program from the harddisk which it crushed (Teamspeak 2), and it crushed again in 5 minutes, so I restarted again was using the other hdd (the one didnt crush), wanted to check something, so went back to my old hdd, this time I had a white screen when it crashed, now I am using the hdd which doesnt crush but if there's any suggestions before formatting or anything, please let me know! Thanks.

Edit : I managed to have red screen and pink screen aswell lol, they happened when i launched a 3d application (game), I think its overheatin, cus it happened in BIOS aswell

Edit 2 : I bought a new monitor like 3 4 days ago btw if that'd be any help understanding the problem, maybe its overcharging the psu or something?,

Edit 3 : Omg I got a green screen aswell, will run through all colors I guess o.O

All I see here is numerous lines of words, one after another- no sentences that start and stop.

Take a breath> you are using 'crash' and 'crush'> what I'm getting is that the system crashed-AKA- went down AKA stopped working- when you were playing WOW.

Okay, we start by asking you:
1. How much RAM do you have installed?
2. What operating system are you using?
3. Why are you changing hard drives?
4. Are you using a laptop?
5. How many games do you have going at the same time?
6. What with the red and pink and green screens?
7. Why did you buy a new monitor?

Basically ye, first crash(pc froze + random colored screen) was during WoW. But it happened in other games as Warcraft 3 and Heroes of Newerth. Also crashed once when I was surfing over internet. Once I wasn't doing anything, I was away for like 10 minutes and when I came back it was in the crashed state again.

1. Got 2x2048 but one seems to malfunction from the start, I only see 3gb ram in BIOS.
2. WXP Pro
3. I wanted to see if the problem was software based, but noticed it wasn't after it crashed in BIOS.
4. No
5. One game + Windows Media Player + TS2 + Msn
6. When the computer crashed, it either gave me a screen one of those colors, probably its about game (I got green in Heroes of Newerth for example, which had a green map template)
7. Old one was a 17", this one is 23". Sorta needed a better resolution for stuff, that's why :)

Got 2x2048 but one seems to malfunction from the start, I only see 3gb ram in BIOS.

1. Run memtest: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html
2. 3 or more GB of RAM is a lot for Windows XP. Have you checked to see what the max. supported RAM is?
3. You need to stop playing around in the BIOS.
4. Heat is not as common an isseu un a desktop, but the CPU still has to have dustballs cleaned out.
5. TS2 = The Sims2? One game = WOW? What is WMP doing? What are you doing on MSN?
6 &7: you think colors indicate bad monitor and you wanted a larger creen?

Old one was a 17", this one is 23". Sorta needed a better resolution for stuff

Screen aisze and resolution aren't the same thing. Screen size literally give you the size of the viewing area. The resolution determines how much will show on that area (font, image, icon size need to be adjusted.

I suggest you go to the site of the manufacturer of the computer, find the model number and look for the maximum amount of RAM it will support.

Follow with memtest.

1. Yeah I am gona run memtest now
2. Not sure
3. I had to get in BIOS to change harddrive sequence
4. I ll check
5. Teamspeak 2 + WoW + Windows Media Player for music, and I am playing WoW in Windowed mode, talking to friends over MSN at same time
6. Nope, I was just surprised of different colors coming up to screen when it crashed
7. I know screen size and res. arent the same thing, the point is you can't run 1920 x 1080 in a 17".

And the computer is a manually made one, so it doesn't have a manufacturer

I am quite sure my motherboard goes up to 8gb tho.

Oh before running memtest, I wanted to check minidumps and stuff and see if there was anything, my friend told me that I got disconnected off TeamSpeak 2 at 8:49:48 (I had a crash at this time, thats why I DCed), and I noticed there are these errors at the same time:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D. (Got like 6 of these in a row splitted 1 second each.)
and
A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort1. (Only one)

So I checked back in Event Viewer, and saw that they were occuring for nearly a month, although I wasn't having crashes back then so I don't know if it's related somehow.

#2: How to Find Out the Maximum RAM Capacity for Your Computer: HERE

I doubt it's 8GB.

#7: Why not?
the point is you can't run 1920 x 1080 in a 17".

I'm on a laptop with 17" screen. Resolution is set to 1920x1200.

For The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D
See http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/12946/?o=40

For A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.
See http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/52252/
(This post sounds very much like your problem)

Using the Event Viewer to get "all" of the information:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
    [2]. Look for the Error>
    [3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
    [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
    [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
    [6].NOTES
    • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
    • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
    • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
    • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock on freeze.

Thanks for help, I will try all now, just wanted to reply about Resolution. Well, on my old monitor it wouldn't let me go up to 1920 1080 o.O, not quite sure!

About the RAM, "You can determine the maximum RAM capacity based on the number of empty sockets." 4 total sockets, 2 empty 2 full, I didn't quite understand how that works tho. If I had 1gb in every slot, it'd do max 4gb, if I had 2gb in every slot, that'd be 8gb, if i had 256 in every slot, that d be 1024, and as far as i know you can install different amounts of ram? Like i mentioned, this computer isn't a readymade one, done it myself so..
But I see 3gb in taskmgr and control panel as same in BIOS.

Attached the errors as txt files, and crash times were the same as dump cites as I mentioned before. But like i said, I ve checked old times and I have been having those for quite alot of time like a month, which I didn't have any crashes, gonna check the links now.

Yeh I've read the things, I got a few stuff to try I guess, thanks again. I'd like a summarized answer from you to understand the stuff more clearly tho if it's not going to be too much work for you, else it's k, I appreciate your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back