TechSpot

Strange graphics card issue

By LordRoss
Jul 6, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I say strange as I have no idea how the issue happened, why it's been doing what it's been doing and how doing what I have done has fixed it ...sorta.

Let me explain in detail.

There I was playing total war Napoleon and decided to show the missus a video replay of one of my battles (which I was ambushed). Unfortunately the game crashed and despite what I tried to do such as tab out of it or windows button or even Ctrl alt del it. All I could see was the replay frozen. I had no choice but to restart pc.

I soon realised that no picture is coming on my monitor which was strange. Couldn't work out why so decided to switch the HDMI connection from GFX card to mobo HDMI socket. This worked as the display came back, however in closer inspection my pc seems to think I no longer have a GFX card. "no hardware detected" is displayed when attempting to open nvidea Program.

I reset CMOS settings thinking something dodgy might have happened and it may fix it. Instead it got worse as then I could no longer even get a display via onboard graphics. I decided to take out graphics card and put it in the other pci express port. This seems to of solved everything.

So now it all appeared to be back to normal I put the graphics card back to the original pci express port and I don't get no display again. The fans on the graphics card works still though and obviously the card isn't the problem as it works on other socket.

So does this mean my pci express socket is fried? If so how do I ensure the same don't happen to the other socket which I'm being forced to use.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

What is the make and model of the motherboard? Usually the second PCIe slot is slower in speed than the one closest to the CPU... Like x16 to x8. The graphics card may have failed to run at x16 speed now

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.