Strange Mobo & PSU Related Problem, HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, well this is my first post, I have somewhat of a strange problem relating to my Mobo & PSU.

I turned on my computer this morning and a few seconds after I turned it on, it just turned off without anything appearing on the screen.

I removed everything from the mobo (video card, hard drives, cd drives, etc.) and I had the same problem. I even went so far as to remove everything except for the Mobo and PSU and everything would shut down still after seconds.

I also moved the Mobo to a non-conductive surface just to make sure it wasn't touching any metal, and same problem. I don't know if I have a fried Mobo or a fried PSU, I don't really have any way to test it out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Make sure your CPU is seated properly and not overheating. An overheating CPU usually shuts the system down. Check the CPU's heatsink and make sure there is enough fresh thermal paste and that it is making contact with the CPU properly. If the thermal paste has dried out, buy some (Arctic Silver 5 preferably) and put a small drop (the size of a small pea) on the CPU. Use a credit card or a similar hard plastic card to spread the paste evenly over the CPU and then put the heatsink on, making sure it makes proper contact with the CPU.
Make sure the PSU is in working condition by testing it in another PC.
Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

I'll give it a shot, but I don't believe it is the CPU because the same problem exists without the CPU inside the motherboard. The motherboard should still at least run without shutting down without the CPU in it, but the same issue happens which leads me to believe it isn't the CPU.

If anyone else has more advice it would be appreciated.

It could also be faulty power switch. You can check that by swapping it with the reset switch.
Also PSU or motherboard could be faulty.
Can you try another PSU?
Do you get any beep codes at power up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back