Strange noise from hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

14 of a hotdog

This strange noise has been coming from my hard drive for a little while now is it ok?
Here Is a recording from it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9obzgmWrlM[/ame]

The first half is normally recorded and the second half is altered in audacity.

I would replace it if it is used for work or a business. Definitely back up you data...Sounds pretty bad. It's a good idea to swap it now so you can clone the drive to a new one..

Just to be sure you mean the clicking noise not the fan that that's next to the drives right? Its not that as loud as in the video i just put the microphone next to the drive and than amplified it by about 20db in audacity. I will start backing it up and look for a new drive in the mean time.

Sounds like its seeking quite a bit. I'm not sure it sounds bad, its a little 'harsher' sound than most hard drive seeks I've heard in drives from the last couple years. I'd run some full tests on it and if it passes I wouldn't be too concerned.

I would be concerned if you have 2 of the same hard drives and only 1 makes that noise.

I forgot to post back. I ran data lifeguard diagnostics and diskchk I have cds with Hitachi drive fitness test and the drive manufacturer's test "the manufacturer is excelstor and their drive test is called estest" that I need to run. It passed the data lifeguard diagnostics tests.

I never posted the exact drive so here it is if it maters.
Excelstor ESJ8160S maybe without the (ES).

http://www.excelstor.com/uploadfile/CN11492 D10351 Rev1.2 Jupiter Datasheet EN.pdf

Edit: I ran Hitachi drive fitness test and it says it passed on both the quick test and advanced test.

Thanks everyone! This is still the best forum I've ever seen!

It is a 160GB drive, most drives back then weren't near as quiet as the new drives now.... I don't know, like I said it didn't really sound that bad to me, I've got a 200 or 250? gig drive in my main tower that is probably louder than the other 3 drives in there combined, but only on seeks, otherwise its about average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back