TechSpot

Strange problem with WD 500GB external hard drive

By sperera
Oct 3, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Got a bit of a strange one im looking for help with please.

Had my WD 500GB external hard drive for over 12 months.

Latley when I go to windows explorer, right click on the drive and left click on properties i get a reading says free space is 273gb. when I try and past something in there, a movie for example, i get an error saying there isnt enough space left. File of the movie is roughly 3gb.

To trouble shoot i tried to past a small picture file and that worked fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
  2. sperera

sperera Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Ok been working on this problem since posting question with a friend.

Confirmed its a FAT32 error

opened cmn and ran CONVERT e: /FS:NTFS /v

when it asks for what drive use My Passport

if it asks for dismount i selected yes

i then received an error saying the volume has inconsistencies so i ran chkdsk e: /f

when that finished i ran the CONVERT e: /FS:NTFS /v which worked and im now filling up my external hard drive once again!

IMPORTANT - to ensure you dont loose any valueable data on your drive backup before trying this, this worked for my and I cant guarantee this will work for everyone.

Hope it helps someone out there.
  3. Coodu

Coodu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179

Good to know mate, I thought the file-size limit for FAT32 was 4GB but it also has restrictions on filenames and such.

I would've just backed up and formatted the drive to NTFS if it was me but nice to see you got it sorted otherwise :)
  4. sperera

sperera Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks, i posted the outcome because im sure this will help someone else sooner or later.....
  5. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,366   +167

good tip! :grinthumb

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.