Strange problem..

By temir
May 2, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've posted this already in the VIRUS section and i was told that it seems that there's nothing suspicious on my PC and i was redirected to the Windows forum. So i forward the same post here:

"I've done the scans and prepared the log files.
    Well, i have some problems on my PC.
    I have Windows XP Media Center, Service Pack 2.
    Recently, a week ago, my windows crashed and did'nt want to work/start. I tried to Recover the windows and the only thing that i could do was, form the Recovery console/dos, to replace a system/configuration file.
    I replaced this file:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system with C:\WINDOWS\repair\system

Fortunately after this process my Windows worked again! And that was GREAT at that moment. But now, for example, i can't install Dreamweaver CS5, that i downloaded yesterday. I click on the set-up.exe but nothing happens... Than i try to "Run As..." me again, 'cause i'm the only user of the PC, and it gives me an error from Adobe: The installer can't be initialized. And i have also other similar problems now. I can't uninstall Dreamweaver CS4 that doesn't work anymore after my windows crash and also other programs.

So i don't know what to do and if there's a virus on my PC or something else.
    I hope that i explained well my problem.

Thank you very much!!!"

"And another thing that i noted right now. I am the administrator of the computer and the only user, but when i open Emule P2P program it says "Your computer administrator can unblock this program for you". So there's an identity/account problem. What can i do with that?"

Broni from the VIRUS section:
    "I don't really see anything suspicious here, so I suggest, you start new topic at Windows forum."
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,109   +21

Update to Service Pack 3. There are a number of newer software releases that will not work on XP unless it is fully updated.
  3. temir

temir Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 87

I'm agree with you, but i think that is another problem.
    I mean, i can't even start my Emule program, i reinstalled it. I can't start anymore my programs that worked before.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.